Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pugio question
Quote:It would be great to clone one of these one man pugio factories :lol:
Only for the decoration. Watching experienced craftspeople doing highly skilled work always makes my jaw drop at how fast they are. I'm not talking about modern custom armourers who generalise, but people who do the same thing, day in and day out. I recall one comment that the guys inlaying the new decorated Deepeeka pugiones thought the work was silly simple, compared to what they usually do.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Just wen in the manufacturing process of the handle is the decoration put on? :roll:

When you form it like Cesar did, can you still do the inlay work?

It looks like I misunderstood what my friend Jef meant about forming the upper part of the sheath. I think it is quit easy to form it just hammering it in the right shape. Question is, does one do it before or after the inlay is done? I would think before, otherwise the inlay is bound to pop out because of the bending and vibrating of the sheath during the hammering.
Quintilianus/Jurgen Schultz

Member of Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis

AUDI ET ALTERAM PASTEM
Jurgen, here you can see how the Indian craftsmen do the pugio handle decoration (Gagan posted the pictures):

[Image: t_20082007152_152.jpg]

[Image: t_20082007149_184.jpg]

All the inlay work should be done before assembly but after they have been formed I think.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I have looked at some pictures of originals and since some of the sheaths are really beautifully shaped, very symmetrical, maybe some kind of pattern to shape it over seems very likely. After all, a wooden positive is made easily, it just takes some time. Especially when you can use it several times.

AUDI ET ALTERAM PASTEM
Quote:I have looked at some pictures of originals and since some of the sheaths are really beautifully shaped, very symmetrical, maybe some kind of pattern to shape it over seems very likely. After all, a wooden positive is made easily, it just takes some time. Especially when you can use it several times.

Perhaps you can make a form and chunk out one of these undecorated scabbard upper parts for some of your commilitones Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:Jurgen, here you can see how the Indian craftsmen do the pugio handle decoration (Gagan posted the pictures):

[Image: t_20082007152_152.jpg]

[Image: t_20082007149_184.jpg]

All the inlay work should be done before assembly but after they have been formed I think.

Vale,

Great! Big Grin

So, they seem to form the handle plate over a metal? shape and without removing it from the shape they inlay it. It is as simple as it is perfect!

But what is it with the blue color? Do they paint it to see the design better?

AUDI ET ALTERAM PASTEM
Quote:
Quintilianus:4hrmgpq0 Wrote:I have looked at some pictures of originals and since some of the sheaths are really beautifully shaped, very symmetrical, maybe some kind of pattern to shape it over seems very likely. After all, a wooden positive is made easily, it just takes some time. Especially when you can use it several times.

Perhaps you can make a form and chunk out one of these undecorated scabbard upper parts for some of your commilitones Big Grin

Well, if you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours! 8)

AUDI ET ALTERAM PASTEM
Like Peronis and Tarbicus said, the sheath and handle are pressed with a die by deepeeka. So I think the craftsmen just get a bunch of scabbard plates and handles and inlay these. I do not thing the people who do the inlay work are involved with the shaping of the components.

I think the iron pugio parts are blackened or blued to have a better contrast indeed (by heating them I think, not by painting them).

When I finaly have some time to begin working on Roman stuff again instead of writing about those blasted Neandertals I'll continue working on your scutum :wink: I hope that when my lessons start again I'll have more time to work on Roman stuff Smile

Cheers,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Lot of photos:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pugio/
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Marcvs it looks to me they have used engineers blue a special paint we used in the shipyards for marking purposes when doing fitting work, but ideal for doing design work like above.I made my own press to bash out pugio handles like in the picture below Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
[Image: P4090060.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question about pugio scabbard munazio planco 5 2,037 05-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  question about pugio scabbard munazio planco 6 2,277 12-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Last Post: LVCIVS VVLPES
  Pugio and Gladius Question Doc 17 3,932 11-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius