Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legion Ireland - Formerly Romans Ireland
All

As result of the difficulties within Romans Ireland we have decided to start a new re-enactment group with no baggage. Legion Ireland - The Roman Military Society of Ireland (RMSI).

We will continue to concentrate on 1st and early 2nd Century Roman army but will operate with an auxiliary unit of Batavians from the 9th Cohort.

We will be displaying Roman army drill and battle tactics but will also be engaging in simulated combat and are starting a training program for this. We will also operate with artillery, both Ballistae and Onager's.

As a result of attending an event in Ireland over the week-end our numbers have risen by 5 and are busy trying to get everyone up to speed. We learned an incredible amount about the Roman fighting style at this event. We fought against Celtic tribesmen many times over the three days and managed to pull together fairly well by the last battle.

It's so hard to appreciate the Roman fighting style until you actually try it up against a well armed and motivated enemy. Over the coming months we will undoubtedly both confirm and dispute commonly help opinions about how the ancient legionaries fought and I hope they will form the basis for many a healthy and instructive debate.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Best of luck with the new group Martin! We'll no doubt catch up soon!
What sort(s) of weapons do you use for your non-lethal combat?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
And how can anything be gleaned on how the romans fought if you're using fake weapons, beyond simple presumptions based on the descriptions we already have on roman battles?

Legion: TBD
So let me get this right Magnus, you can't validate Roman battle tactics unless someone get's killed? I wonder why they bothered to drill then :wink:

As for our weapons, they're the same as 'normal' except the Pila carry a pad and the Gladii are blunted with the point rounded. Believe it or not, the best weapon of the lot is the Scutum. Used properly it's leathal.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
As a good Irish lad myself (my mother's maiden name is Tannian, which has been traced back to pre-Celtic roots in Galway) I am always attracted to Irish activity! Big Grin

Would love to play with you guys if you are over here or we are over there again!

Both of us being Irish, my wife and I honeymooned in Ireland. When we go back--not if, but when--it will definitely include connecting with you folks.

We are not shy about bringing our gear along. Last summer we were in Rome and had great craic walking around the Forum!

Please do keep us updated on your activities! Big Grin

-M
Michael Sweet, Ph.D.
Viking Invasion [url:31zephj0]http://www.vikinginvasion.org[/url]
Are yes Sophvs the arch Titvs I loved it when I was there, one of my favorites.Hope you enjoyed Rome.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:Believe it or not, the best weapon of the lot is the Scutum. Used properly it's leathal.
I thought no-one gets killed? :wink:

Look forward to hearing what you have to say on combat. I'm sure that discussion will run to fifty pages or so of thread, be locked three times, and test the sanity of the Mods Big Grin

Drill: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_AshcDGa234
Not a drill: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KKJyR_JFOKs
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Martinus:tvp8931k Wrote:Believe it or not, the best weapon of the lot is the Scutum. Used properly it's leathal.
I thought no-one gets killed? :wink:

Look forward to hearing what you have to say on combat. I'm sure that discussion will run to fifty pages or so of thread, be locked three times, and test the sanity of the Mods Big Grin

Drill: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_AshcDGa234
Not a drill: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KKJyR_JFOKs

Very interesting movies, Jim. I think this is more close to the reality of fighting in ancient times than we can recreate...

The police seems to be using their shields a lot to bash.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I just find it difficult to take hobbiests, who aren't soldiers, and drill them in ways we're not entirely sure about, and use that situation as a validation of roman combat. I'm not saying it won't be fun, or you won't find certain things more useful than others, just very difficult to know whether or not it pertains to how the romans would have done it.

Quote:and test the sanity of the Mods
Uh, Tarby, what's to test? I thought we already knew the answer to THAT~!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, I'll admit fully to losing my sanity here on the forum lol.

Those vids certainly make it appear that there's a riot every other day in S Korea.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Its the Scutum that does the hard work not the gladius
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
It would certainly rearrange your features if you were on the recieving end of one! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legion Ireland - Events 2008 Nerva 0 800 02-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Nerva
  A Red-Letter Day for Legion Ireland Nerva 5 2,028 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Nerva
  Romans Ireland Continuation Gaius Antinius Salis 15 3,825 06-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Ironhand