Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Want To Be A Late 4th or Early 5th Century Roman
Quote:My library is weak for the late 4th early fifth era, if you could buy one book to get you going, one with good illustrations,descriptions etc., what would it be? I'm pretty handy at making things so with a good illustration I could make a pretty good copy. By the way, what did you think of the helmet in my first post?

Paul Elliott's 'The Last Legionary'

Paul Elliot - The Last Legionary

And to augment:
The Late Roman Army, Southern, P. and Dixon, K.R., (2000) Paperback edition, London: Routledge.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Cheers!

I am proud to be augmented by Southern & Dixon, and not the other way round!!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:Cheers!

Mithras, Your book is not listed on Amazon.com US, I'm going to see if I can order from UK and and have it shipped here. Damn! Why are all the good events and stuff all in Europe? Sad
Juan Santell, no Roman name yet. Picking a name is very important and something that should not be done hastily or without much thought.
Some on RAT will dispute this, but I always think the Osprey titles are an excellent introduction to any period you're looking to recreate, especially if you're a visually-minded person, as you say you are. They're cheap, concise, and offer a wealth of full-color imagery. If you decide to stick with a period then obviously you need to invest in some texts with a little more depth, but for casual perusing these can't be beat.

Usually about 12 bucks a pop, give or take. There are several good titles that would apply to this period:

Late Roman Infantry
Late Roman Cavalry
Roman Army: Hadrian to Constantine
Roman Military Clothing II
Roman Military Clothing III
Arthur and the Anglo-Saxons
Germanic Warrior: AD 236-568
Romano-Byzantine Armies: 4th-9th Centuries
...and many more that I'm omitting.

Start with the first one, or just the first two. If you're still interested, go from there!
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
Yes, Osprey are great sources for ideas! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I 'third' that suggestion. I have everyone of the Osprey books for this period.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:By the way, what did you think of the helmet in my first post?

Looks like the old Deepeeka Burgh helm. Not bad, but the nasal/brow piece is horribly oversized, a problem that is oddly consistent with recreations of this particular helmet. Peroni, another RAT regular, recently traveled to India and helped them revise a number of their products. Can't remember if this was one of them. If so, try to seek out an updated version of the helm.
Franklin Slaton
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Your mother wears caligae!
I would suggest first attempting to correct it yourself, you can't pass up the chance to try a little light metalwork, a bit of rivetting and cutting!
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Quote:Cheers!

My pleasure. So far, I find you're offering much more in-depth information on topics that S&D skim over.

Of course, you also have your little mistakes.. :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Some on RAT will dispute this, but I always think the Osprey titles are an excellent introduction to any period you're looking to recreate, especially if you're a visually-minded person, as you say you are. They're cheap, concise, and offer a wealth of full-color imagery. If you decide to stick with a period then obviously you need to invest in some texts with a little more depth, but for casual perusing these can't be beat.

Franklin, I agree they're nice as a first step, but often enough outdated, so I would hesitate at calling them an 'excellent' introduction. Osprey is mostly written as a back-up for modelling and gaming, not as an introduction to a scientific interest. Anyone interested should read a follow-up beyond what these offer. Fast.

Of course, I have all of the relevant ones myself, too. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Well, a year on and I think that I've learnt some things I wished I could go back and change ... in fact two weeks after the manuscript went to the publishers I had a change of heart about a theory I had debated over and over, but it was too late ...
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
Was that about belts and why they don't show up in records?

I would also like to discuss The ND and names of units.. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
J.S., if you have access to a good library and time to delve into primary sources, try Simon James, Excavations at Dura-Europos 1928-1937 Final Report VII: The Arms and Armour and other Military Equipment (British Museum Press: London, 2004). The finds are third-century, but are almost all ‘late Roman’ in style, and the mass of material is amazing. There are pieces of 19 shields, and many paintings and graffiti, for example. There are also colour paintings of troops based on the author’s research. And it is very well written.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:There are also colour paintings of troops based on the author’s research. And it is very well written.
[Image: three%20soldiers.jpg]

http://www.le.ac.uk/ar/stj/dura.htm#late
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early lanciarii of the 3rd century in Roman Army G.S. 1 209 04-23-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Arius
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,161 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Civilian Dress of the early 1st century, help sought Clavdivs 0 971 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Clavdivs