Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What books should I get on inter library loan?
Greetings all,
My local public library is good at getting books on inter library loan.
What are good English language references about the end of the Western Empire and the Migration Era? Oh, and gladiators too!

I have some books on Rome and the Migration Era:
Greece and Rome at War, by Connolly
The Roman legions Recreated in Colour Photos
The Roman war machine by John Peddie
Training Roman Cavalry by Anne Hyland
Warriors of Arthur by Matthews and Stewart
Osprey's
Late Roman Infantryman
Late Roman Cavalry
Romano-Byzantine Armies
Attilla and the Nomad Hordes
Arthur and the Anglo saxon wars
Germanic Warrior

Any recommendations would be welcome,
Thanks
Cheers,
Michael/Fearghus/Firminus
From a different post on references and reviews, I suggested these:
"Here's a few that I have enjoyed, and which might be considered indispensable :-
"The Army of the Caesars" Michael Grant - covers the relationship between Army and Society, its role as 'king-maker', a general history of the army in context.
Pretty much anything by Michael Grant is well worth reading - for a general history, his "History of Rome" is hard to beat.
"The Roman Imperial Army" Graham Webster - a detailed look at the army of the first and second centuries A.D.
"Hannibal's War","The first Punic War" and "The Spartan Army" and anything else by J.F. Lazenby.

And for those looking to gain a perspective on Late Romans:-
"The Later Roman Empire 294-602 A.D." - A.H.M Jones
"The Fall of the Roman Empire - a Reappraisal" - Michael Grant (again!)
"The Fall of the Roman Empire -the military explanation" - Arthur Ferrill
Finally ( for now!!),
"Generallisimos of the Western Roman Empire" - John Michael O'Flynn - a look at the role of Arbrogast, Stilicho, Constantius, Aetius and Ricimer and Odovacer in the break-up and evolution of the Western Empire"

.....and don't forget "Warfare in the Classical World" by John Warry as an alternative to "Greece and Rome at War " Smile wink:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Don't forget 'Emperor Maurice,' Strategikon, tr. G.T. Dennise! Probably the best source for early Byzantine cavalry, written around 600 or 700 CE, and a pretty good treatise on warfare in general to boot.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I forgot to add Maurice's Strategikon to the list of books I had. I also picked up An Age of Tyrants, about sub-Roman Britain, but have never finished it. I'll have to dig that out of my library as well.
Cheers,
Michael/Fearghus/Firminus
Peter Heather has written a couple of very useful books on the Goths.

I'd always recommend T.S. Burns "Barbarians Within the Gates of Rome" for an analysis of the Romna army between Adrianople and the Gothic settlement in Aquitane. Hugh Elton has also done a book that covers the same sort of period.

Guy Halsall's "Warfare and Society in the Barbarian West, 450-900" is also very good.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/