Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late 2nd c. Officer Kit?
Avete Omnes!

I'm quite familiar with what a Legate or Tribune would wear in the 1st century CE, but what about during the late 2nd century (specifically around Severus to Caracalla's time)? How would this have changed? Would it matter if the officer was in a more remote area, such as Dacia, as opposed to say, Gaul or Italia? How would it have differred from a mid-2nd century Officer (say, between Hadrian's to Marcus Aurelius' time)?

Specifically, what sort of helmet would this officer wear, an Attic style or something else? Would a Spangenhelm be too early to wear?

Shields, still the familiar rectangluar scutum of the 1st century? When did the more oval shaped shields come into use, outside of the auxiliaries that is?

Would a long sleeved tunic be viable? Would a bright red (thus showing a bit of wealth as in later periods) be okay for such an officer? And how tight should the sleeves be? From what I understand, the late tunics often had very tight sleeves, so would that have been true for an earlier period as well?

Valete!
M. Artorius C. f. L. n. Sub. Silvanus

aka David Coleman
Quote:I'm quite familiar with what a Legate or Tribune would wear in the 1st century CE

You are? Please tell, because I don't think we really know how they looked :wink:

Reconstructions are most of the time heavily based on sculptures of the emperors and male relatives being depicted as officers.
These sources are as available for late 2nd century as they are for the 1st century AD...

Quote:Shields, still the familiar rectangluar scutum of the 1st century? When did the more oval shaped shields come into use, outside of the auxiliaries that is?

Cavalry shields were often oval, starting very early in the Roman period. A tribune or Legate would have been mounted so IF he ever used a shield in the imperial period he'd probably have had an oval cavalry shield. But I don't think it's quite likely they just had some good handpicked soldiers to act as their shield Wink

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:
Marcus Artorius Silvanus:17va5bgx Wrote:I'm quite familiar with what a Legate or Tribune would wear in the 1st century CE

You are? Please tell, because I don't think we really know how they looked

Reconstructions are most of the time heavily based on sculptures of the emperors and male relatives being depicted as officers.
These sources are as available for late 2nd century as they are for the 1st century AD...

Marcus is right. If we study depictions of Praetorian officers from both 1st and 2nd centuries AD we don't notice much of an evolution in armor or helmets.

First century (c. reign of Claudius)

Second century (reign of Marcus Aurelius)

Quote:But I don't think it's quite likely they just had some good handpicked soldiers to act as their shield

Well, an officer did have a shield bearer following him around whereever he went Smile

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:Would a long sleeved tunic be viable? Would a bright red (thus showing a bit of wealth as in later periods) be okay for such an officer? And how tight should the sleeves be? From what I understand, the late tunics often had very tight sleeves, so would that have been true for an earlier period as well?

This is the period when officially at least long sleeved tunics are beginning to be introduced. As an officer you could have a wardrobe full of tunics but if you are going for a battlefield impression a bright red tunic would be fine. Although you should try to get something which best resembles a purple red pink shade if that is at all possible. This is also the period when the simple clavi are beginning to give way to more elaborate designs coming in from the east. Try looking for the Dura Europos report by Simon James for some early examples of these designs. Even at this early date the tunic sleeves seem to be very tight fitting around the wrist and while know doubt some grunts may have looked a bit sloppy at times you can bet the officers would have the very best tailored clothing.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Ah thanks Graham, that is the sort of answer I was looking for with regards to the tunic. I started making a Late Roman red tunic, with thoroughly tight sleeves (can barely get my hand through the opening...) but have thought lately that it might be best to go with an earlier impression to start with... so thus my tunic should be fine for a Late 2nd century era.
M. Artorius C. f. L. n. Sub. Silvanus

aka David Coleman
Should someone need sketches of the 3rd century Dura-Europos clavi, just send me a pm with an email adress Smile
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Quote:Second century (reign of Marcus Aurelius)

How do you know these soldiers are definately Praetorians? They could be Equites Singulari Augusti.
Quote:
Quote:Second century (reign of Marcus Aurelius)

How do you know these soldiers are definately Praetorians? They could be Equites Singulari Augusti.

I don't definately know that they are Praetorians but am reasonably sure they're not regular legionaries. Whenever the Emperor is depicted on columns or friezes he is always surrounded by soldiers wearing Attic helmets which would seem to indicate their status as Praetorians or Equites Singulari Augusti. So, regarding this particular frieze in and of itself, you're right. There is nothing to indicate their status. But when compared to other sightings of the Emperor this frieze is consistent in depicting differently equipped soldiers in his immediate presence.

In any case the matter is irrelevant to this discussion. The point is that the lower left figure is definately an officer and is equipped rather conservatively for the time period.

~Theo
Jaime

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late roman officer and Lorica Musculata! Virilis 36 8,718 09-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Virilis