Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cadenced Marching
So as far as reenacting/living history/whatever we call it goes, if a unit decides to march in lockstep as modern military units do, that should be ok. If another unit choses not to, that's ok, too. If one unit sings/chants marching jingles, fine, if another doesn't, fine.

The only trouble comes when one unit decides it has the final say in a public or group outing. In that case, then, the units need to decide ahead of time which way things will be done, regardless of how it is to be done. That presents a more sensible appearance to the public, when that matters.

It would be fine with me if the non-locksteppers mocked the locksteppers, for example (or vice versa) in an immersion setting, but not in the public setting. Then again, I probably wouldn't mock anybody for either position.

So what's the conclusion, since we don't know what the early Romans did? Do what the unit thinks best, and explain when appropriate that "We don't know, but we think this looks better?" Not asking for a definitive ruling, just opinion from others doing the same thing in groups.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
could alway toss dice to see who wins! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel