Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marcus Aurelian Legionary!
i hope that my signature is ok now.

for the belts... im afraid that there will be a big headache with utere felix belt. I'm really afraid that I will have to make it by myself... or some other low budget copy 8) too bad. I like that ring belt more, but I want do Marcus Aurelius period.

@Byron - yes, I'm member of a of czech LEG X... but my main impression is late roman soldier. Majority of members of our group are doing early second century, but I'm not so interested in this era, Marcus Aurelius is much more better for me :wink:
Pavel Nikolajev / VANDALICVS
DECIMA GEMINA

DUM SPIRO SPERO
Good to see Pavel!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Just checked so I don't think I asked this already, but what tunic styles would have been in use in theis period?
Long sleeved with/without clavi?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Salve,
from what I know, I suppose that the most probable option would be long sleeved tunic with simple clavii, like most form the 3rd century.

I mean simple one-colour, narrow clavii. But as this is transitional period, perhaps option would be also undecorated shortsleeved tunic?

Our centurio has tunic based on the first colour plate from Osprey´s Imperial Roman Legionary AD 161-284 and it looks just perfect - red with black narrow clavii.
Pavel Nikolajev / VANDALICVS
DECIMA GEMINA

DUM SPIRO SPERO
Yeah, that is what I am looking for to be honest, just no joy. Need enough persons looking for this to make it economical. Will just have to modify the look a little. That is the impression I am going for BTW :wink:
Getting there slowly!

Where did he get the material with Clavi? (Like pulling teeth this) :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Robert:2s7u460h Wrote:Wow, now there is a classy looking Roman Good work, hombre!

Thanks, Robert. Coming from a fellow Mid-Roman that means a lot to me Smile shock: :wink:

Quote:I don't know when those round disc chapes popped up.

According to Bishop & Coulston the circular chape seems to be 3rd century. It's the most common depiction on gravestones and it also appears in a 3rd century Palmyran mosaic.

Quote:Great looking impression Theo'!

I thought that was what the sword might be, although perhaps with the next spathas scabbard on ARMAE!?

Thanks for saying so Smile I would think the round chape is alright for the 190s AD. One was found at Neiderbieber and was iron.

~Theo

Sorry, what is the difference between a disc chape and a round chape?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would be VERY interested in opinions on the appearance of the auxilliary from the periode of Marcus Aerelius, in the Limes Germanic region.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:1dwn4ep7 Wrote:I have found a sword I believe! And were ring pommel swords not 3rd century? I hope Patrik does not mind me posting a picture of his work, but I have found my soul mate! Love at first sight!
I have Patrick's #102 Roman Riding Sword that I use for my Age of Migrations living history characters and it is an absolutely superb piece. I was so impressed with it that I am now 10 months into a 30 month wait on his #118 Abingdon Anglo-Saxon Sword, although he just posted a new one that I might substitute, his #128 Gilling-West Sword. That is one stunning sword!

I will check Bishop & Coulston this evening and try to post on when the Romans used the ring pommels. Since they got the idea from the Sarmatians, I suspect that it would be after Marcus Aurelius' wars with them.

Sorry i missed the last line on this before for some reason, but yes, I would not be going for a ring pommel for this period.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Sorry, what is the difference between a disc chape and a round chape?

According to B&C : scabbard fittings were undergoing a change during the Antonine period. New copper-alloy heart shaped or peltiform chapes appear. The Marcus Aurelius column depicts these and semi-circular chapes concurrently with the older triangular guttering chapes. Pictures of three chapes are shown on page 133.

Does this help you, Gaius ?

~Theo
Jaime
Thanks sorry I missed your post Jaimie. I don't have B & C...yet.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
NP, Gaius.

Numbers 4 through 6 are the aforementioned chapes.
The origin of each piece is in the description below.

Good luck.

~Theo
Jaime
Ah ok, Thanks ! Smile I think I saw the real ones at Edinburgh......possibly...have pics somewhere.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
These chapes look difficult to cast. Any idee's how these were made?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
If I recall, one or two were of organic material...ivory or something....correct me if I'm wrong...could be the Arbeia ones I am recalling.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh blast, now I have to go out and kill an elephant for my chapes! Could someone please send me the link to that website showing the appearance of Roman infantry through time. "generations"or something like that. I lost the link ....... Sad
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Roman Legionary of the reign of Marcus Aurelius PALongimanus 5 4,766 06-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS