Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carlton goes to Amsterdam
...next weekend.

Now, the first thing I'm interested in is what I should be checking out in terms of museums and such.

The second is, I can bring along all my museum pictures on CD-ROM (Jona? Jasper?)

The third is, if any RATers are around that weekend I'd be glad to meet you (I'm coming with my girlfriend, though, so all-night pub conferences are out)
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Hi Carlton,
Jona's in Amsterdam, so he might be able to meet up with you.
Ancients wise, in NL, you'll want to visit the Allard Pierson (Amsterdam, small but nice), the Rijksmuseum voor Oudheden (Leiden, large collection Egyptian, Greek, some Etruscan, Roman), Valkhof museum (Nijmegen, nice collection of Roman militaria, but also some civilian stuff).
Have a good trip and if you turn up in Nijmegen, let me know!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Oh dear, I see someone else has gone 'avatar-silly'! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'll reply by PM.

More in general (also for other people). IAmsterdam is some sort of general guide. From the museums, I can recommend the Allard Piersonmuseum (not much Roman, but much Greek and Egyptian art). Forget the Rijksmuseum (partly closed, although some highlights are still visible); the Van Gogh Museum is splendid but usually very crowded; the Royal Palace is not half as beautiful as they say.

Best thing to do: just scroll along the canals. Enjoy the Nine Streets. Buy chocolate at Puccini's, without exaggerating the finest chocolate in the world. Look at the stone tablets. Be not afraid to visit the Red Light District - it contains, seriously, some beautiful old houses, the lovely Old Church and a little church known as Our Lord in the Attic (yes, that is its name).

If you want to attend mass, go to the 11.00 service in the Krijtberg Church (Singel 448) - you don't need to be Catholic (or Christian) to appreciate the Gregorian chant by a near-professional capella. The cantor is a personal friend of mine and will gladly explain it all.

And to strengthen Amsterdam's image as the Sodom of the Twenty-First Century, this weekend is the Gay Pride Festival, with its notorious Canal Parade. It's always amusing to watch, although hearing "YMCA" for the zillionth time is eventually rather boring.

Finally, some personal pages.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks all

@Jasper: I'll likely make it to Nijmegen. I'll get in touch as soon as I know details.

And I look forward to seeing all kinds of fascinating stuff.

Volker Bach
Cool! See you soon.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Carlton (and Jasper),

If you're visiting Nijmegen, I would also like to meet up.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Looks like I'll most likely be in Nijmegen Saturday. Will get in touch

Thanks again

Volker Bach
Okiedokie!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Okay, looking forward to meet!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Saturday it is. When would work best for you, and shall we meet at the Roman museum?

Looking forward to seeing you

Volker Bach