Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese adze-hammer size?
I fancy makeing a reconstruction of this has anyone a rough idea of the general dimentions ,also the shaft hole isit a tube of iron or wood mineralized :?: I will post when finished Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Salve Brennius,

This is a very interesting tool indeed. I once got the general dimensions of it from one of my commilitones, I'll have to look for them. I send them to Cacaius (Cezary) to have a reconstruction made but after a while he told me his smith had experimented with it and found the tool was very impractical and to his view unusable if made after these dimensions. So I don't know if the ones I have are very good Smile

Vale
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Brennius, I send you a scan with the scale by email. I don't know if it's allowed to post it here...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Can you post a pic or a link to one? Can't seem to find mine!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Thanks Jef got e mail then I realised I have the journal :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I have so much information I forget what I have sometimes again many thanks Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Hibernicvs I will send you it when I can.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Marcvs you have made a great point about how some tools are impratical.All the the double function tools I have made are primailary only meant for one function ,and the other is a add on.Dolobra great if you are using the pick but not so good for felling trees but it will do the job.The Romans again trying to cram more gear into one item so it can be easily carried by one man, still quite clever.We had tools in the Coalmines that had duel functions Hack,Deputyaxe ect. So I think the Adze Hammer was used as a Adze first Hammer second ,that is probley why it has a iron shaft it had a tendency when hammering to miss the nail and damage the wood because of the balance ,it would still drive a nail in though any thoughts :?:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I agree about the double function tool.

The form of tools evolved to be best suited for a certain job (a bit like biological evolution :wink: ). A certain tool is ideal for a certain job when it has a certain weight, size, rigidness, flexibility etc... So making one tool that is ideal for more than one job is almost impossible.

I have the same feeling about the dolabra. It isn't very usable for cutting down trees because the heavy pick side unbalances the tool when the head is held horizonatly to the ground. But it can be used very well for splitting logs because of the added weight of the pick when the head is held perpendicular to the ground.

Vale
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Adze reconstruction brennivs - tony drake 4 1,626 09-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake