Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum paint
Hi Saul and all,

interesting discussion, thanks for all your contributions. For me questions like this are a personal decision, depending on how close to original ways I can get and whether I can finance it. I do try to use materials as close to the original materials as possible, but I try to reproduce the end-product, not to reproduce ancient production itself and that is where I (roughly) draw the line. Thus I drill holes with a power drill or use saw and file to make a single, say, medical instrument from brass rather than casting it, etc. etc.

What actually is more important to me personally when talking about these things in detail with interested visitors/fellow reenactors is to openly admit to the compromises made and explain the reasoning behind instead of stubbornly maintaining to be a know-it-all who never does anything wrong (and yes, I found there are some of those types around as well, unfortuantely).

And Saul, judging from your PMs about the shoes, I guess you're gonna settle on casein paint in the end ;-) )
Quote:And Saul, judging from your PMs about the shoes, I guess you're gonna settle on casein paint in the end ;-) )
Yep. At least for my Augustan shield. Smile
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paint \"Sealant\" for Roman Scutum Antoninus05 6 2,328 11-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Mailing a scutum paint job jkaler48 18 4,542 10-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Tiberius Clodius Corvinus
  Paint my scutum! Robert 25 5,050 09-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Robert