Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
websites ect for buying bone?
I need the help of RAT members .I am looking for sites to buy bone, antler ect in the UK .I have a few but I need a bigger rangr to look at .
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I am sure you are way beyond this, but just in case I did some work with a hack saw and dremel on bone I just got at the pet store.

(FYI, it is the worst-smelling thing I ever did, and be sure to wear a respirator: bone dust is carcinogenic)

-M
Michael Sweet, Ph.D.
Viking Invasion [url:31zephj0]http://www.vikinginvasion.org[/url]
Thanks Sophvs thats where I get mine from but the dogs got there before me :lol: :lol: Yes is does pong when under heat,but lovely stuff to work with Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Just out of curiosity, what do you make from these bones ?
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
sword grips :roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Memmia just about anything needles ,hairpins,gameing counters,toggles ,hinges,swordfittings,belt fittings,spoons,combs,weaving tools the list is endless it was the plastic of the Ancient World .Thats why in some older publications they said Romans had a mostly vegetarian diet due to the lack of bone finds :lol: :lol: only the feet,tail and scull is not much use unless you play chuck knuckles or want to improve your catapult/archery skills out.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Thanks Brennivs, I have heard of it referred to as the Ancient world's 'plastic'- especially horn (which even looks and feel almost 'plastic' when shaped).
I've seen many medieval bone buttons and needles (and of course horn nocks ) but not much else. I haven't yet seen any Roman artifacts made of bone (although I do walk around with my eyes shut most of the time :oops: )
I do recall a cow's skull found at Vindolanda which had been used for target practice though Smile
Friends of Letocetum
Sorry I dont have much finished items to hand but I have this Big Grin
[Image: P7290447.jpg]
[Image: P7290444-1.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Dice!

OOO-AAAARH! Nice work Brennius!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
These are the other bits Big Grin D He He
[Image: P7290445-1.jpg]
[Image: P7290448.jpg]
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Dice, of course! I must have seen bone items, I just probably thought they were made of wood or stone :roll:
Doh!

I agree, nice work Brennivs. Big Grin

As for buying bones, wouldn't a local butcher/ abbatoir be of any help, or do you need certain animal bones ?
I don't think there's any restriction on obtaining sheep or pig bones from abbatoirs, but there may be a restriction on cow bones in the UK, so horn may have to be ordered from outside. Availability would depend on whether the butcher/ abbatoir worker can be bothered to strip the bones for you, bunging them a few quid now and again may make it worth their while :wink: and you'll probably have an endless supply.
Friends of Letocetum
The problem is the cleaning of the bone it isnt pure white, if you have a bone with meat on and even if you boil it ,but Iam working on that one :? hmm. Horn and antler is no problem to obtain here.Also the bone is not the same as in Ancient times it is less dense, so some items deep carved you need to be lucky to find a good piece to work with.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
every time I slaughter a cow, I have plenty of bones....
but only certain ones are good for sword grips.
I usually let the dogs have most of the bones, after I pick and choose what various friends need for their projects.

Chicken bones make good needles and other small items.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:The problem is the cleaning of the bone it isnt pure white, if you have a bone with meat on and even if you boil it ,but Iam working on that one :? hmm. Horn and antler is no problem to obtain here.Also the bone is not the same as in Ancient times it is less dense, so some items deep carved you need to be lucky to find a good piece to work with.

If you add some caustic soda granules (sodium hydroxide- should be able to get these from a chemists/ some hardware stores) to the water before boiling the bones it will strip the bones and leave them really clean, it is a very good degreasing agent. It shouldn't weaken the bones either. I'm not sure how much you add, try different concentrations.
Just be careful it doesn't splash in your eyes or skin.
Friends of Letocetum
HA thanks for that Memmia laudes to you for that one Big Grin D I have been raking my brains on that one, now to the nearist butcher.
Many thanks Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs