Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st century BC Centurion question
Quote:That is what I had in mind, but I feel if peturges are used, there would be more coverage, ie for added protestion as well as appearance.

Caelius' period is not that far removed from ceasar, but I suppose it was a period of change.

Who makes the shorter mail cuirass? That has been on my want list for some time!
But are you sure a Caesarian centurion would have a shorter hamata? I'd check that it's not more likely to be the longer one, which I know would be my preference.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks to all again Big Grin D
[Image: shield.jpg]
As you can see the black is rather nice and it belongs to the nasty Centurian :twisted: This was taken at Greenhead Big Grin D
SO again thanks Big Grin D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:2s6i9bkk Wrote:That is what I had in mind, but I feel if peturges are used, there would be more coverage, ie for added protestion as well as appearance.

Caelius' period is not that far removed from ceasar, but I suppose it was a period of change.

Who makes the shorter mail cuirass? That has been on my want list for some time!
But are you sure a Caesarian centurion would have a shorter hamata? I'd check that it's not more likely to be the longer one, which I know would be my preference.

I was under the impression that the hamata got shorter starting from the early imperial period and was more and more combined with pteryges to make up for the lesser coverage of the armour. When I think of Caesar's period I always think about longer hamatae.

I'll be wearing two layers of pteryges (white with a red border) with my shorter hamata as a common legionary. I don't think this is inacurate.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote: [But are you sure a Caesarian centurion would have a shorter hamata? I'd check that it's not more likely to be the longer one, which I know would be my preference.

Sorry, I am jumping around here, I was looking for one for an impression of caelius! Have wanted to do one of him since i saw the osprey cover depicting him, however fanciful it may be!

But to be honest, I am sure Osprey must have seen Brenus' impression for some of their art work, he looks just like the pictures in the books Big Grin P

Not knocking him at all, that would be silly seeing what I look like! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sorry Gaivs they got the nose wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
God I'm dense!!! Sorry Brennus, it just clicked what you ment! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
:lol: :lol: :lol: That will teach you.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:Gaivs :lol: no problem ,on a lighter note I get my leather from a place in Pons Aelivs ( Newcastle ) Le Prevo Great place I can fondle the leather before I buy , and he can advise on leather that would be sutible for the job. Sorry dont have a bill with website on but will PM if I come across Big Grin

Thanks again, seem to have missed that post somehow!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secondary sidearm for 4th century centurion M. Val. Naso 19 4,499 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  2nd century centurion Ioannis 21 7,643 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Ioannis
  First Century Hammer Question Titus Tiberius Crispus 2 1,511 02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell