Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belgrade Museum of Military History Gladius
A very fine example indeed !
Before taking the 'border patrol unit' analogy too far ( latin, trans to serbian, then analagised, then trans to english might leave a lot to be desired ! :? ? )

I suspect the 'special forces' ...'border patrol' :wink: reference might mean the owner was one of the Legion's speculatores (??) Smile )
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Doh !! Sad Just seen the other thread on the same subject.
I see that the article posted indicates that the "L.A.IIII" of the inscription might indicate "L(eves) A(rmatura)" or lit. 'light armed'. This term normally referred to foreign auxiliaries such as slingers etc, and given the "IIII" immediately after it and the "S" which has been suggested as LegioIIII Scythica, then there is something of a contradiction in the suggested translation.
A small mystery ! :? ? ?
Any body got any alternate translation suggestions ?? Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Any body got any alternate translation suggestions ?? Smile
Yup. Next time I see Alex for beers, I'll go through it with him. :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belgrade and Roman Ruins/Museums Longovicium 12 3,031 08-29-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Need Info on Gladius Hispanensis, Leiden Museum NL Pointer 16 3,782 09-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Final Capstone Military History Paper- Roman Army usmc93 2 1,396 05-07-2013, 02:10 AM
Last Post: usmc93