Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic Knives / Daggers Help Needed
Ok that is clear.
This gives a general overview of LaTene finds, no exact places where these have being found or are these all from LaTene itself?
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
The knife I did is in the last of the pictures, Late La Tene, nr 5. No, actual finds are not tracable to sites on this website, as far as I have found. Will be doing the next one with the knob at the end, like on the picture Jvrjenivs posted.
Am thinking about doing some swords from the La Tene late as well. Oh well, first some javelin heads and a load of butt spikes to go with the spearheads.
Martin, sent you a PM, look forward to the trilobate arrowheads How To Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
There are some of these knives published in different volumes of Archeologica Belgica.

For the grip you can just use a leather band wrapped around the hilt.
No rivet holes found in the original no5 knife?
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Salve Garrelt, no, no rivet holes are evident. The site does not really show finds as such, but (partial) reconstructions based on finds, so where a rivetted handle is evident, they depict the handle. The book will probably explain all, but my French is not up to ordering it, probably out of print anyway. I was planning on wrapping the hilt with a band of wet rawhide after inserting a wooden filler on the underside of the grip. This way, the drying hide will shrink to make a tight fit around the handle. I am planning on rubbing in some ochre for a flashy yellow coloured hilt. I think I can do the handle without stitching by tucking the ends in on both sides and letting the shrinking clamp it on tight.

David, The carpenter's rule in inches was made in France and actualy also has centimeters on the other side! It is great for quick conversion, just flip it and presto Big Grin I treasure it, as you will realise.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
All questions answered.

The later LaTene knife, with the knob end, you can find in books about Roman knifes, mostly, under the section Cleavers.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Here's ring handled knife I made. The original was found at the Manching hillfort in Bavaria.

Original
[Image: knifeorig.jpg]

Reproduction
[Image: knife.jpg]

In the site report ("Werkzeug Und Gerat Aus Dem Oppidum Von Manching") there are numerous styles of ring knives. Many of them also have the ring made by simply thinning and curling the tang into a loop.

From what I've seen of the knives in this site report alone, nearly every blade profile was used. There's even a couple of knives that look remarkably like the USMC Kabar complete with the saw on the spine.
[Image: dirttagline.jpg]
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
Re: Living History Blog
Slave Gobae!

Really nice work!! :o What are the dimensions of the original? Have you any idea as to the function of the ring? Is it just ornate or would it serve another practical purpose? Could you please send me a scan of that page if it has scale on it?? Sent you a PM with mailadress.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote: Have you any idea as to the function of the ring? Is it just ornate or would it serve another practical purpose?

Attachment (to a belt)?
ALA I BATAVORUM
We use the ring for hanging such a knife on a peg or nail in the longhouse , or on a S-hook on the spit while cooking.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
According to the book, the overall length is 34.3cm. The text for the item is as follows:

Quote:Schweres Messer mit einem durch einen Wulst abgesetzten Ringende, schwach profiliertem Griff und langer, gerander Klinge.

If I'm reading the illustration notations correctly the scale is 1:2 (illustrations are 1/2 scale). Do you want the scan 100% of the drawing on the page or 100% of the real size?
[Image: dirttagline.jpg]
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
Re: Living History Blog
Slave Gobae!

I think both will work for me. As long as the print allows me to scale it accuratly. I try to make the replica's as close to an original as I can. I didn't have a good drawing for the knives I made, but I guessed the length by comparing them to the swords. It seems it was a good guess, for my knives are about 35 centimeters :lol:
Would be most gratefull!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Salve Omnes!

These are the knives with different style handles. One is wrapped with a strip of rawhide with a hemp cord added for effect (much like stinging nettle cord, by the way), finishes with egg-white and beeswax, the other is rawhide stitched over a wooden core, clear beeswax finish. Coloring is possible using colored beeswax, one could use ocher (yellow to reddish) or other natural colorants like burnt bone (very black!).
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
These look really nice, Robert! You did another good job!
ALA I BATAVORUM
They look great Robert excellent stuff Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
I've just put an olive wood handle to a knife-blade I got some weeks ago.

[Image: knife.jpg]

And with the olive wood handle
[Image: knifeHandle.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM