Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origin of two paintings?
Why do you say Peter, Tarbicus? I'm not arguing, just asking.

They are contemporaries, sometimes antagonists, sometimes friends, depending on the specific Biblical mention, but wouldn't Occam's razor suggest the simpler "Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus and his subsequent healing?" Just a theory, not grounds for drawn gladii. :lol:

Adding to my previous statement about later art not being concerned with military historical accuracy, don't the soldiers in armor look like they have later-than-Roman armor in your mounted portrait?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Here's the text:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... version=9;

Acts 9:3-19 (King James Version)
King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

3And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

4And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

5And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

6And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

7And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

8And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.

9And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.

10And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.

11And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,

12And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight.

13Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:

14And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.

15But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

16For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

17And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

18And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

19And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:there shined round about him a light from heaven:

And he fell to the earth,

And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

but they led him by the hand,

disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision,

Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight.

Saul and Ananias. Definitely. Sure of it. Nice one Dem.

Ignore my last post, I've got flu.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks, Tarbicus. I guess that decade of teaching adult Sunday School learned me something after all, eh? I wonder if anyone knows when that set of pictures (the latter) was produced? The stiff stylization makes me think it was Dark Age, not yet Rennaissance, what say you?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Pre-Renaissance, I think yes, but it might be Byzantine or late Roman - late antiquity anyway. It's got that comic book stylisation, if you know what I mean? The tunics also make me think late Roman, as they could be contemporary to then, and these subjects are often portrayed in clothing of the time the artwork was made (or a contemporary interpretation of ancient clothing).
http://www.accd.edu/sac/vat/arthistory/ ... 3/Byz3.jpg
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi folks,
I can only agree with you. The second picture depicts Paul on his way to Damascus...text on it is clearly readable in my book.

Thanks for period identification :wink:
Martin
Thanks, Martius.

Could you copy the text for us, so we could see? It's too fuzzy on my screen to tell what it says.

Does your book give the date that the paintings were done?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Sorry fot delay. I will try to rewrite the text -

ALLOQVITVR SABAOTH AxNANIA? QVAERERESAVx REDDIT ET ENOLLI LVMINA ADEMxTA SIBI

QVAM BENESCE DOCES VITALIA DOGMATA PAVLE EX SERIE PRISCA CAELITVS ATQVE? NOVA

x=unreadable letter

I hope you can decode it...

Unfortunately there is no date and that's the reason why I started this topic.
Martin
Quote:Unfortunately there is no date and that's the reason why I started this topic
:oops: :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.