Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
Welcome Sampsa!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Wow, two more active members! Welcome to Sampsa and Robert (great name Big Grin ).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I live in Virginia--for a few more weeks at least--then moving to Seattle (I'll miss the South terribly). I've been interested in Rome since a childhood spent partially in Tuscany. I've family in Italy, some originally from the town of Ascoli Picene (Asculum in Roman times) and both sides now living in Guilianova (once a Roman colony of Castrum Novum) which helped fire both my imagination and interest. Not a re-enactor or academic although I have a degree in history. I hang out at unrv.com where I post as Virgil61.

----
Frank
Frank
Hi Frank,
Welcome to RAT!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Terve Sampsa!

Great to have other finns interested in late roman world....
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hello! I have recently found Roman Army Talk as a result of some minor research I am doing both for personal interests and a homeschooling project. I live about 40 miles SW of Houston, Texas. I would love to find out if there are any in my area that are interested/involved in Roman history. I am married with one child and am a native born Texan.

I have always had a love of ancient civilizations, even going so far as to obtaining a degree in anthropology, with the goal to someday participate in a dig either in Egypt or Italy. I do come by the interest in ancient Rome honestly, as my father is Italian. His family is from the northern portion of Italy. I took Latin for four years in high school, and while I was never very disciplined in learning the actual language, absolutely loved reading about Roman culture. I am even including Latin as part of my homeschool curriculum for my daughter! I feel its very important she appreciate that language and how it has been a part of our history.

I stumbled across this forum trying to hunt down some rather esoteric information for a short story I am working on set in ancient Rome. However, I am not interested in finding out about female gladiators. I am hoping someone can help me with information about life among the camp followers and the more 'mundane' activities that would not only take place in a settled area, but what life was like for non-combatants before, during, and after a battle. I have scoured the threads here for the information and have enjoyed what Ive read so much, thought I would take the plunge and join up as well, since my old love of ancient Rome is inspired now.

I would love to look into re-enactments. However, I do not know of any local groups here in the Houston area. I think it can well be stated that the primary interest in re-enactments here is Texas history. I have friends who are deeply involved in re-enacting the various battles that have taken place, but I can tell you, none have the whiff of Roman culture. More's the pity, right? Anyway, I am open to that as well, if by some luck and chance there is a group here.

I only have a bachelor's degree in Anthropology, and have done some archaeological work. Most of what I dealt with was museum type work, another interest of mine. But I digress.

I am looking forward to reading and learning more and brushing up on forgotten knowledge!
Sharon Ferguson
Hi Sharon,
Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll find interesting answers and ask challenging questions. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Great to have other finns interested in late roman world....
You lot are interested in far more than late Romans!

[Image: _41668190_lordiget_203.jpg]

Late nights maybe Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Hi Sharon,
Welcome to the forum! I hope you'll find interesting answers and ask challenging questions. Big Grin

Thank you! I will try! I am thinking I need to spend a few more days perusing the files, before I venture with a thread of my own.
Sharon Ferguson
Welcome to the list Sharon , Frank, Robert and Sampsa !
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Quote:
Quote:Great to have other finns interested in late roman world....
You lot are interested in far more than late Romans!

[Image: _41668190_lordiget_203.jpg]

Late nights maybe Big Grin

its LORDI!!!! hehehhe
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Salve Antonia,

Quote: However, I am not interested in finding out about female gladiators.

Why not? :?: :oops: It's a very interesting topic and I could tell you loads about it.

Vale optime,
Quote:its LORDI!!!! hehehhe

Yes it is! HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH!!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:
Quote:its LORDI!!!! hehehhe

Yes it is! HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH!!!

Next year Eurovision will be a rock concert :? roll:
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Quote:Wow, two more active members! Welcome to Sampsa and Robert (great name Big Grin ).
Welcome to both of you, as well. I too have an appreciation of your name, Robert, and your nation's history, Sampsa.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium