Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Just passed the 500k view mark (OK Nathan 500k busy search bots) can we stop now?

Only just scratched the surface John
Deryk
https://www.historyextra.com/period/roma...ing-street
A new potential candidate has been raised. I like to think of it as a "tweak" to the Church Stowe theory. A local researcher, Ian Peterson, has found a number of crop marks that suggest to him the engagement took place in the Litchborough/Farthingstone Valley. This is the valley forming the southern side of the southern ridge of the Church Stowe theory. So logged and on the record and now a part of the Church Stowe exploration project, thanks Ian....

(05-03-2020, 09:38 AM)John1 Wrote: a number of crop marks that suggest to him the engagement took place in the Litchborough/Farthingstone Valley.

Looks quite nice. But wasn't this valley full of impenetrable scrub forest, according to your recent theory?

Nathan Ross
(05-03-2020, 10:04 AM)Nathan Ross Wrote: Looks quite nice. But wasn't this valley full of impenetrable scrub forest, according to your recent theory?

The valley woods still stands if it were the Church Stowe Valley, I would have to revisit that and find another impenetrable woodland type if this new theory proves to be correct. This site is close enough to fold into the CS studies with some good targets. Not sure how one surrounds this site with woodland if it isn't valley bottom scrub.
I am new to your site and have one question .Would  the Romans have built a monument to celebrate their great victory over Boudicca and indeed the druids?There are other examples throughout the roman empire after great victories,and i believe 5 similar in Britain .Has this been considered and indeed found ?. Pagan onlooker
Ian
OK Mr moderator,. You want the battlefield and the archaeological evidence.Real evidence i have done my work .The research of Celtic battles in Europe , Roman generals reputations,Roman fighting capabilities,Defences, light artillery and legion strength,Range of fire, Celtic fighting tactics and command structure,Tacitus and Dio,Celtic beliefs and settlement structures,River systems,logistics and requirements,Geography and terrain ,ancient boundaries and track ways,salt ways drovers routes boundaries and maps.Roman monuments ,Quarries and specific rocks for carving ,hundreds of miles walking.The archaeology of destruction as found by hard work and study, while others has fought over the scraps trying to convince themselves they are right,even getting funding for empty fields.Some have done very good work that deserves absolute recognition,i honestly thank them it is a team effort. .Remember this is a place where many lost their lives and deserve respect.I have done my work and yes i am a "no one" but my legion of support is growing,I have done my work to remember the dead and not reputation.That is for others.With this it is goodbye, i wish you well and safe journey.Cheers. Now ask yourself" so what does he know"? I told you what i know. I will tell you of the crow that attacked a kite and after a long fight saw it off,and how this was seen several times in different places,one even went for two. That should mean something . I have to be measured in that we all shared the same goal but for different reasons.Some who passed comment even said it did not matter much ,Where thousands were slaughtered !.Different understanding you see. It is not a place for bounty hunters and personal embellishment.Keep Well and be kind. email if you want but posting is over
Ian
TV Guide says it is still "The Battle of Watling Street";

I am prepared to watch on behalf of the thread and report back if it is not too painful...... it will save the general suffering of the more sensitive amongst us......
John1 Wrote:I am prepared to watch on behalf of the thread and report back if it is not too painful...... save general suffering......

The spirit of Captain Oates lives on!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Popcorn a movie and a night in .Whats not to love? I have my pen at the ready.
Ian
This one gets a RAT "Caution" rating.... fine for the general public up to GCSE however in the context of RAT;

1 The Name and location are absolutely tied to "Watling Street"
2 They have an "Iron Age Expert" but he looked too young and too alive to be real.
3 There is a "Cavalry Dash"
4 The only sites considered, or even mentioned, are Mancetter and Church Stowe.
5 The approaching Roman Forces appear to be rather more Republican than Imperial.
6 RAT doesn't get a mention
7 Tring and Dunstable were edited out of the script.
8 Mapping appeared to be rather generous to Iceni territory to the North.
9 The real Church Stowe advocate was edited out and played by some fat, old, ugly, inarticulate actor.......

Link to show, if you think you can cope;
https://www.my5.tv/britain-s-lost-battle...26aa47fb10
(05-05-2020, 09:28 PM)John1 Wrote: 3 There is a "Cavalry Dash"

I'm afraid under present circumstances that might be more than my nerves can bear!

(05-05-2020, 09:28 PM)John1 Wrote: 9 The real Church Stowe advocate was edited out and played by some fat, old, inarticulate actor.......

Isn't that always the way?
Nathan Ross
The only surprise is that a site other than Mancetter gets a mention.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(05-06-2020, 06:53 AM)Renatus Wrote: The only surprise is that a site other than Mancetter gets a mention.

Yes, that's a plus - although I suppose there's only so many time they can 'discover' the same 'lost battlefield'! But it's impressive that John has managed to present his Church Stowe case so effectively and consistently over the years. As presented here, it looks far more convincing than Mancetter (and I got the impression the programme makers thought so too!).

Still, the chronological fudging they were forced to do on the course of the rebellion was quite telling, I thought. At first the narrator suggests that Paulinus only left Wales "after hearing of the fall of Camulodunum and London", which would have made his trip to London a bit pointless. Sure enough, he then ignores that bit completely and suggests that "after hearing of Boudica's attack on London, Paulinus... pulled back".

So it's left to the Mancetter reenactor to claim that "Paulinus hurtled south to go to London... but made a tactical retreat", which seems to imply the old reconnaissance expedition theory without underlining it.

Needless to say, without this spurious but maddeningly tenacious factoid about Paulinus rushing up and down Watling Street, there remains little reason for him and his army to be in the Midlands when they encounter Boudica and co.

I was amused by the claim that although we don't know the site of the battle, "we do know it's called the Battle of Watling Street"... [Image: tongue.png]
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,479 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex