Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum
Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning the Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum. I can't find anything about this helmet anywhere. It's not in Junkelmann's book and there is no decent information about it online. Can anyone help?

Cheers.

[Image: imperiale-gallische-galea-i-moguntiacum.jpg]
Marc Beermann
(04-19-2018, 04:19 PM)Marc Wrote: Hello everyone,

I have a question concerning the Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum. I can't find anything about this helmet anywhere. It's not in Junkelmann's book and there is no decent information about it online. Can anyone help?

Cheers.

[Image: imperiale-gallische-galea-i-moguntiacum.jpg]

Salve!

This (I believe) is the information on this helmet which was in the (now defunct) Helmet Database:

Imperial Gallic IGI 01 (Nuremberg)

Copper alloy and therefore somewhat rare for the Imperial Gallic type. Inscription on the left side of the neck guard reads: "LEG(io) I ADIV(trix)" and "C(enturia) MVMI LOLIANI". On the right side of the neck guard it reads: "L. LVCRETI CELERIS", "L.LVCRETI CELERIS" and "LEG(io) I". The owner of this helmet is known to have served with legio I Adiutrix when they were stationed at Mainz with the newly returned legio XIII Gemina Martia Victrix, between 71-86 AD. The form of this helmet is basically the same as the Type H. It has a twist-on crest holder - for which a circle of solder remains on the crown - plume tubes soldered to each side and a carrying handle on the neck guard. The neck guard has the edge notched so that the burs would retain the edge binding when fitted and flattened into position. It also retained the two strips of copper alloy held by large flat-headed rivets on the rear edge between the centre and the angular corners of the neck guard. The eyebrows are of a broad, leaf-like form with a medial step above the centre and a ridge at the lower border. Photos © Armae and Luc de Vos

You can find more information here (mostly in German):

Robinson, H.R. (1975), "The Armour of Imperial Rome", (Arms & Armour Press), p.59, Nos.136-9 and p.60, Nos.140-42

Klumbach, Ein römischer Legionarshelm aus Mainz. Jahrbuch des Römisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseums (RGZM) 8 1961, 96 ff.

Waurick, G., 1976: Die roemischen Militaerhelme von der Zeit der Republik bis ins 3. Jh. n. Chr.  237 S., Mainz, Univ., Diss., 1970, catalogue no. 59

Klein, Die Römer und ihr Erbe, Mainz 2003

Bongartz, Studien zu römischen Helmen: Untersuchungen zu den Funden römischer Infanterie-  und Kavalleriehelme vom Ende der Republik bis zum 3. Jahrhundert n. Chr., Diss. Cologne 2013, catalogue no. I-118

Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks this helped me out a lot!
Marc Beermann
In: Marcus Junkermann, Römische Helme Band VIII, Sammlung Axel Guttmann (Berlin 2000?) pp 127-128 and 131. a similar helmet is published. It has a soldered on crest knob, somewhat similar to those found on various Coolus types.

The early twist-on crest supports that we know of are all fixed with rivets. The Mainz helmet only has a ring of solder, so a Coolus type crest support is the more likely one.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,367 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,111 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Imperial Gallic D Helm Konstantin Ankilov 8 2,680 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Konstantin Ankilov