Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Destruction Evidence for the Fall of Roman Britain?
How many sites in Britain show plausible evidence for destruction associated with the end of Roman control?*

I've been doing a quick bit of research, but most of the evidence, whether defensive works or destruction deposits, appear to date from the period AD270-80 or so, rather than the early 5th century. The same seems to be true of sites on the continent.

These are the only examples I've found so far, but I wondered if anyone knows of more?

1. The coastal signal stations at Huntcliff and Goldsborough were destroyed by fire, and both have human remains: the former has 14 skeletons of adults and children thrown down a well, the latter the remains of several people, all showing signs of multiple sword cuts. The stations were supposedly built c.AD370, and one (of the others, I think) has coin deposits up to Honorius. So we could perhaps date the destruction to c400 or so.

2. The large villa at Lullingstone in Kent was destroyed by fire 'some time at the beginning of the fifth century' (one website estimates AD420, not sure on what basis!). It was apparently never reoccupied.

3. A building of cAD400 in Bath's Abbeygate (itself built on the foundations of the 3rd Century townhouse) had the severed head of a young woman inserted into the flue of the oven. Dating this grisly item is difficult, though - could have been any time in the 5th century... A couple of estimates of c.440, but not much suggestion why.

4. One of the gates of Colchester was burned twice. "The second fire was the more serious. Brushwood was piled up against the outer face of the wooden doors and set alight causing the doors to collapse inwards... The two fires are not closely datable but the first was probably no earlier than 367 and the second substantially later." The gate was not rebuilt after the second attack; as the earliest known Saxon hut within the wall perimeter is dated to the mid 5th century, the attack could have been c.410 or thereabouts.

I haven't looked at coin hoards yet, and I'm pretty sure there's more scattered evidence elsewhere too.

(*p.s. I'm not speculating on who might have caused this destruction, whether barbarian raiders, mutinous soldiers, rebellious provincials, brigands or the partisans of one or other competing faction or warlord... Some suggestion of hostile intent would be enough!)

Any suggestions?
Nathan Ross
Quote:The stations were supposedly built c.AD370, and one (of the others, I think) has coin deposits up to Honorius. So we could perhaps date the destruction to c400 or so.

Actually there's an argument for redating coin deposits in Britain to the mid 5th century despite being from earlier emperors. It was based on studies of coins from Hadrian's wall.

See "Pleading the fifth (century): patterns of coin use at the end of empire" by Rob Collins.
(04-13-2018, 03:19 AM)FlavivsĀ Aetivs Wrote: See "Pleading the fifth (century): patterns of coin use at the end of empire" by Rob Collins.

Thanks! I hadn't seen that one, but I liked Collins's Hadrian's Wall book. I'll give it a read now...
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,315 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  New evidence for annihilation of Ninth Legion in Britain? ParthianBow 94 23,629 11-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow