Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crispianus
Ivor,

With this concentration on shoes, it has just come to me why you chose your username. Am I the slowest member of this forum? I don't suppose your birthday is 25 October, is it?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
(03-05-2018, 10:59 AM)Renatus Wrote: Ivor,

With this concentration on shoes, it has just come to me why you chose your username. Am I the slowest member of this forum? I don't suppose your birthday is 25 October, is it?

Ah busted, but no my birthday is another date entirely, but I am a fan of Henry V Big Grin
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(03-05-2018, 10:59 AM)Renatus Wrote: Am I the slowest member of this forum?

Apparently not! - very cryptic...
Nathan Ross
(03-05-2018, 01:11 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 10:59 AM)Renatus Wrote: Am I the slowest member of this forum?

Apparently not! - very cryptic...

I'm not sure what to make of this. Did you pick up the allusion?
Michael King Macdona

(03-05-2018, 05:30 PM)Renatus Wrote: Did you pick up the allusion?

I didn't! But Ivor / Crispianus has now explained it to me... I would never have suspected a connection if you had not mentioned it!
Nathan Ross
(03-05-2018, 07:46 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: I would never have suspected a connection if you had not mentioned it!

Well, it took me longer than it ought to have done to make the connection.
Michael King Macdona

No I still didn't got it
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(03-06-2018, 08:14 PM)Gunthamund Hasding Wrote: No I still didn't got it

Crispin and Crispianus, allegedly twins were Roman Shoemakers and became the patron saints of Shoemakers, Cobblers and Tanners etc, they lived and worked in the 3rd century ad, the 25th of October is St Crispins Day commemorating the brothers and made famous by William Shakspeares play "Henry V" in the speech just before the Battle of Agincourt....

"This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day."

Now about St Hughs bones.... but I think that may be off topic Big Grin
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thanks Ivor
See how far away we are though so close. I am coming from an Ortodox land we don't have Saint Crispin, not being english spokers old Will was just a short note in the manuals. But now I do remember the Henry V incident and the Agincourt magnificent fight for which I am strongly recomend the Medieval Warfare special https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/mw-special-2.html
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(03-07-2018, 06:36 AM)Gunthamund Hasding Wrote: Thanks Ivor
See how far away we are though so close. I am coming from an Ortodox land we don't have Saint Crispin, not being english spokers old Will was just a short note in the manuals. But now I do remember the Henry V incident and the Agincourt magnificent fight for which I am strongly recomend the Medieval Warfare special https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/mw-special-2.html

I shouldn't worry about that as I dont think its widely known and likely has more then a bit of myth and legend involved as well, I doubt most who see Henry V know of the significance of St Crispins Day, certainly I would never have made the connection myself had I not been involved with leather work.... Unless that is you live in Faversham where it may be rather better known...

http://www.faversham.org/history/people/...ianus.aspx

Bata Shoe Museum: http://astepintothebatashoemuseum.blogsp...nt-of.html

This version might interest should make a good movie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Shoemaker_a_Gentleman

Wink
Ivor

(03-09-2018, 10:00 AM)Crispianus Wrote: Unless that is you live in  Faversham where it may be rather better known...

Or Northampton which is a shoe town and used to have a hospital called St. Crispin's.
Michael King Macdona

Michael thanks for spliting this. Acually I can't find too much over the saints in our ortodox even catholic sinaxar. Seems they were remived in the catholic one after 1962. I will try to dig deeper and see why they don't appear at all in the orthodox one although they lived in the 3rd century. Will let you know if I found out more
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(03-09-2018, 10:44 AM)Gunthamund Hasding Wrote: Michael thanks for spliting this.

I'm afraid I can't take credit for that. I think it must have been a moderator.
Michael King Macdona

(03-09-2018, 11:52 AM)Renatus Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 10:44 AM)Gunthamund Hasding Wrote: Michael thanks for spliting this.

I'm afraid I can't take credit for that. I think it must have been a moderator.

Indeed. You were happily hijacking poor Crispianus' thread.Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(03-09-2018, 12:34 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: You were happily hijacking poor Crispianus' thread.

Not me, guv. I raised a point not wholly off-topic in the context of the thread (see the opening phrase of my first post) and others picked it up from there.
Michael King Macdona

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Shoes by Crispianus Crispianus 47 19,212 03-22-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: ursinius