Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Non-irritant wool yardage
Hello,

I'm working on a Central Asian kit (generic Andronovo-Skythian-Parthian) and, what with it being the dead of winter in the States, been thinking about adding extra layers like an undertunic and scarf.  Unfortunately I get a painful rash if I wear ordinary wool next to the skin.

So, I'm trying to find sources for by-the-yard woven wool of a less itchy variety.  I understand merino has a good reputation, but so far it appears to be available only as fine knits (like for T-shirts), felt and yarn.  Anyone know of anything that could be useable?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
I used a very large, plain men's prayer shawl to make a wool tunic for my (winter) Greek hoplite impression. Google Exotic India Art, search fabrics for men's prayer shawls. You can find 100% wool ones. Mine is very soft, but I know it is wool, so buyer beware. Watch for sales. The prices are very good, then. You want the biggest you can find to fold in half and still be able to blouse your tunic.

Maple Clothing in Canada has men's prayer shawls for excellent prices (Kashmiri wool - very soft - I have one as a chlamys).
Cheryl Boeckmann
Thank you!  So something like these:
Plain Men's Dushala from Amritsar (Lohi)
Prayer Indian Shawl Pure Wool Mens Winter India Clothing (Off-White)
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

Yep! I went with non-white because I can never keep my whites white! These will be dry-clean or hand wash in Woolite, then hang dry. Good luck!
Cheryl Boeckmann
This is a old thread, but It might be a good idea to try putting some lanolin into your woolen fabric. I have heard that this can help dramatically with making wool not itchy. It will additionally help with 'water-proofing'. Though it goes without saying, If you have a Lanolin allergy, don't use it!
Jack Svendsen.
That's interesting, definitely wouldn't have occurred to me. I could try an experiment by putting some on a wool scarf and see what happens.
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

Well, I've never tried it myself either, but It made sense to me.

Too often, companies take the Lannolin oil out of the wool with harsh chemicals and then weave it into fabric, and this is probably one reason why a lot of woolens are as itchy and scratchy as they are. Lannolin oil will probably help with the 'scale' and thus make it less itchy. Wool is wool, however, and there is always a chance that you might only reduce the 'itchiness' slightly.

Lannolin oil is a natural component of wool, and taking it out doesn't make much sense to me.
Jack Svendsen.
Makes sense to me! Sheep smell like sheep because of lanolin. Sheep leave greasy rub marks on stalls and posts (itchy pests). You really can't clean wool until the protective (for a sheep) lanolin is removed. Shepherds may have used raw (with lanolin) sheepskins to keep the rain and snow off. Stinky rancid grease over time - that's what'll happen...
Cheryl Boeckmann
Then I have a feeling you would like Alpaca.

None of the fuss of wool, all of the softness of velvet...

Of course, you'll find yourself short of drachma!
Jack Svendsen.