Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A RATer (John1) in search of Roman camps.
John1 has posted two documents on Academia.edu speculating that there are Roman marching camps or forts at Wadenhoe and Whilton, both in Northhamptonshire (see the docs for locations and images).

Wadenhoe is certainly an interesting site - apparent outline of a Roman camp within which is a fine church. Adjacent is a possible Saxon? fortified camp.

Wadenhoe Camp?

Whilton camp?
well possible but you would need some boots on the ground if you want to be sure

anyone in the area?
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Wadenhoe. What a fabulous site.

Whilton Site. A stream to the North and a Roman Road a few hundred yards to the South, presumably heading for Watling Street, but how would it's course have intersected the camp?
Wadenhoe, it'll be very hard to unpick there are so many layers of activity, but if you were wanting to dominate the Nene that's a great place to do it from. HER says medieval/post medieval..... but my guess is that the place was secured pre-Roman, Roman and every phase post Roman. All I am doing is trying to test the observations of Fox.

Whilton - not much to go on other than the Lidar and it's great strategic and tactical position. Very hard to approach from the north and west due to wet flood plain, which I think is also key to the strength of Church Stowe. A road like feature lies relatively close to the south and therefore an implied bridging point into the east gate of Bannaventa might be on the cards. The camp may predate Bannaventa or be it's garrison if it turns out to be more than a camp. A really great defensive position for a fort, but probably more significantly it strategically sits in the Watford Gap which might wisely have been held by a fort by the Romans. Hard to find a more secure site nor instantly deployable from..... and expensive sandwiches........

The plan seems to be about 4.5ha (similar to Bannaventa itself) and a link road to Watling Street at Bannaventa could look a bit like this;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannaventa

Not much I can do about either site other than make people aware of the possibility. Thanks for the interest, I would be keen to hear others views on the sites potential. I will RAT Steve out in return next time he posts elsewhere.....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman camps UK - is there a database or list? Steve Kaye 55 11,090 01-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Alan316
  Roman military camps TheRoman 8 2,133 02-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Last Post: TheRoman
  New \"old\" roman camps Simplex 3 1,495 06-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Simplex