Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman sites in the Cotswolds
Salvete Fratres,

Let me start by saying I've been away from the site now for about 8 months.  A lot of things have taken me away from the things I enjoy and love. But finally the dust is starting to settle and it's good to be back here again. Some of you will remember me and others will be getting to know me for the first time and to those it's a pleasure to meet you.
Now to the point of this thread. My wife and I are planning a trip to England this coming November. We will be going to Portsmouth and then traveling to Bath. We are going to visit the Roman Baths in Bath. Does anyone have any information in regards to any other roman sites worth seeing in the area around Bath, the Cotswolds, or any place between these places and London? I know Legio II Augusta had some forts, etc. more towards the west of Bath. Like Caerleon, Newport, Gloustershire...but we didn't want to travel any further west. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Vale,
Thomas Guenther
Thomas Guenther
If you're in Portsmouth Fishbourne and Bignor are easy targets;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishbourne_Roman_Palace
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bignor_Roman_Villa

Chichester was a Legio II base for a while;
http://roman-britain.co.uk/places/noviom...gnorum.htm

with some of the circuit wall still standing and the local museum built on a bath house;
http://www.thenovium.org/

and Butser is good for Iron Age, with a little villa;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butser_Ancient_Farm

Not very Cotswold though, more South Downs
(07-24-2016, 10:26 PM)John1 Wrote: If you're in Portsmouth Fishbourne and Bignor are easy targets;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishbourne_Roman_Palace
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bignor_Roman_Villa

Chichester was a Legio II base for a while;
http://roman-britain.co.uk/places/noviom...gnorum.htm

with some of the circuit wall still standing and the local museum built on a bath house;
http://www.thenovium.org/

and Butser is good for Iron Age, with a little villa;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butser_Ancient_Farm

Not very Cotswold though, more South Downs

John1,

Thanks so much for responding. I thought about Chichester. Read about it, but hadn't looked at any photos of it. Stupid me had no idea of the mosaics there. We will be trying to work on going into our plans! 

Salve Sis,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
(07-24-2016, 07:58 PM)Purplest Wrote: Does anyone have any information in regards to any other roman sites worth seeing in the area around Bath, the Cotswolds, or any place between these places and London?

I visited the Cotswolds ages ago, took some trips in the area.

Cotswolds:
Chedworth Roman villa would be my number 1. Great site by itself, well-preserved remains.
Cirencester would be next. The Corinium museum is great, and remains of the Roman wall and amphitheater and certainly worth a visit.
Great Witcombe Roman Villa. On the doorstep of Gloucester (itself a very nice town to visit, with great churches and museums, with many Roman artefacts). The Romans sure could choose a site for a villa!
Off the beaten track:
Spoonley Wood Roman Villa. Near Winchbombe, hidden in a smallish wood. Small but nice surprise.

Full list of Roman villas in Gloucestershire

Take a trip into south Wales:
Caerleon - Isca Silurum: great site, great amphitheater, great museum! A must-see!
Caerwent - Venta Silurum: the walls are very well preserved, along with walled-up gates and late Roman bastions.
On the road there:
Lydney Park Roman Camp - roughly halfway Gloucester and Caerleon, very nice site.

If you're going in the direction of London (sooo many choices)
Silchester - Calleva Atrebatum. A must-see for every Roman enthusiast, best combined with a visit of nearby Reading Museum.
St Albans - Verulamium: also a great site, walls, theater, Great museum! Plus a nice town, too.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Mr. Vermaat,

Thanks for all the information! I will definitely be checking out all the places you recommended. This may make me rearrange the schedule of my trip, but it will be worth it.

Cheers,
Thomas Guenther
Thomas Guenther
The Novium Museum in Chichester is openning it's new "Roman Exhibition" on August 17th. If you can coincide your visit with that maybe you'll get free entry if you are in character..... or arrested for being in possession of offensive weapons.. Wink
Will look into that museum. Although we won't probably visit there till November. Thanks for the update John1. 

Cheers,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
Mr. Vermeer,

Even though Caerleon is a bit out of our way I'm still going to try and make it there. Especially since Legio II Avgvsta is one of my favorite legions. Can you tell me more about Caerleon? Like about how long will it to see everything? Are there any things that I should want to see specifically, etc.? Value your help!

Salve Sis,
Thomas

Sorry I misspelt your name! My most humble apologies!
Thomas

I sent this message from my phone and sometimes it has a mind of its own when it comes to spelling!
Peace,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther
(07-31-2016, 06:36 PM)Purplest Wrote: Can you tell me more about Caerleon? Like about how long will it to see everything? Are there any things that I should want to see specifically, etc.? Value your help!

No problem, I've been called worse! Smile Vermeer is also a good name to have.. Wink

Caerleon is spread out over a village, and I would prefer good weather to visit the cannabae and especially the amphitheater. Any weather is good for the national roman legion museum! I would certainly reserve half a day for this. I can recommend the Red Lion Inn for a good lunch.

And don't forget Caerwent - just 16 km from Caerleon!

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Mr.Vermaat,

Can't thank you enough for all the information! You've been most kind! Loved the overhead view pictures you sent! Will look into the other place you mentioned "Caerwent". 

Salve Sis,
Thomas
Thomas Guenther

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman sites along the Danube Jona Lendering 28 7,120 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Arahne
  Roman Military sites Oct 11 2,965 06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Roman sites in Germany? Galloglass 6 2,253 10-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Americus