Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Leicester Finds
"Buried in the grave was the remains of a middle-aged man wearing an elaborately decorated belt in a style that would have been worn by a late Roman soldier or civil servant during the second half of the 4th century or the early 5th century AD."

ulasnews.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/rare-discovery-of-late-roman-official-buried-in-leicester/
(07-07-2016, 10:16 PM)John1 Wrote: "Buried in the grave was the remains of a middle-aged man wearing an elaborately decorated belt in a style that would have been worn by a late Roman soldier or civil servant during the second half of the 4th century or the early 5th century AD."

ulasnews.wordpress.com/2016/07/07/rare-discovery-of-late-roman-official-buried-in-leicester/

Thanks, very interesting also that the man seems to have healed injuries that could easily be consistance with military service.......
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Interesting find - thanks for the link.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
It's definitely same timeframe as the Oudenburg belt. I would date it at 2nd half of the 4th century as well. Not Early 5th though.
(07-08-2016, 07:55 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: Not Early 5th though.

Why not?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I've seen them close up a couple of times now.  At the latest event at Jewry Wall museum in Leicester (last weekend) they used my kit to illustrate the styles of late Roman belt fittings to the Public.  We also had a great discussion about the skeletal evidence from the grave and how the arm break and shoulder damage could have occurred during military service.

There are some other nice late roman finds, small blue & green beads, an enamel brooch and a couple of pieces of completely intact pottery including a drinking cup which I got to handle and compare to my repro. 

The really good news is, that after many years of struggling to stay open, the museum is to have a refurbishment and these finds will be part of a major display on the new Roman finds from the city.

Just a quick plug if you are near Leicester this coming weekend:

Festival of Archaeology: Leicester - Building a Roman City
Saturday 16 July
11am – 1pm
Meet at Jewry Wall Museum
Join Stuart Bailey, Friends of Jewry Wall Museum, for a free guided walk around Roman Leicester. Free (donations to Friends of Jewry Wall Museum). Meet at the Museum entrance. No booking necessary. T: 0116 225 4971
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...grave.html
(07-12-2016, 10:13 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote:
(07-08-2016, 07:55 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: Not Early 5th though.

Why not?

The typology completely changes from wide belts like this to thinner belts, buckles and strap ends place greater emphasis on zoomorphic features as well. British styles typically match styles in North Gaul until c. 440 AD or so. The wider belts like Oudenburg fall out of use around 375-400ish or so.
(07-21-2016, 03:03 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: The typology completely changes from wide belts like this to thinner belts, buckles and strap ends place greater emphasis on zoomorphic features as well. British styles typically match styles in North Gaul until c. 440 AD or so. The wider belts like Oudenburg fall out of use around 375-400ish or so.

I doubt that the Oudenburg belt types are gone by 400. Dating is of course not always straightforward, but I seem to recall that wide belts continue into the first half of the 5th c.
See e.g. Böhme.

This squares with belt-stiffeners being dated to that period (related to wide belts). Such as on the belt from Dorchester-on-Thames.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Interesting finds. I believe I saw this on the FB RAT?
Jewelry wall? I think we were there a few years back helping an early group get going.
We were Batavians. Can't remember the names of the guys unfortunately.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Has anyone noticed ring at the point of the strap-end?! Any explanation for this feature? I have no idea......First time have seen something like this.....
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
(07-26-2016, 12:39 PM)Arahne Wrote: Has anyone noticed ring at the point of the strap-end?! Any explanation for this feature? I have no idea......First time have seen something like this.....

I have no idea either. Unless it's a tiny bell I see attached to that ring?

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
(07-26-2016, 12:56 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote:
(07-26-2016, 12:39 PM)Arahne Wrote: Has anyone noticed ring at the point of the strap-end?! Any explanation for this feature? I have no idea......First time have seen something like this.....

I have no idea either. Unless it's a tiny bell I see attached to that ring?

The bell shaped part is solid, more like a little acorn. 

When I was looking closely at the original, I wondered if the little ring fitted over some sort of hook on the belt to stop that annoying dangly strap end bashing you get when you run. My other idea is that it could take a thong or perhaps a ribbon but I've never seen a ring on a strap end before either.

I am hoping to get along to a talk on the dig this was found at, in September, so I'll ask the archaeologists if they have any ideas - though they will probably say the ring is for 'ritual purposes'. Big Grin
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
I also thought of a hook on your belt, but to hang it up out of the way to stop it getting wet when you go for a wee Smile  Blush
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
tassel?
Andy Ross

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference"