Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Gemini' arrow release, late Roman?
I saw this curious object over on FB RAT, and had never seen a brass knuckle looking archer's release. Apparently called a 'gemini' it looks like this:

http://youtu.be/8ZAuSJ1G4nk

And of course, just because I've never seen it doesn't mean anything.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I doubt it's late Roman, as by the 4th century they were switching to thumb-draw from the Alans/Huns.
(07-08-2016, 07:54 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: I doubt it's late Roman, as by the 4th century they were switching to thumb-draw from the Alans/Huns.

Do we actually have hard evidence for this apart from Syrian thumb ring finds? It IS feasible, but I don't recall any proof on this.

So thing is, this "bow-puller" surfaced here and there. There is an uncited bad quality photo in Timeless Bowhunting p. 109 (check Google Books), and also an 1918 publication. It cites a few finds (will check these later), but absolutely rejects any association with bows. McDaniel thinks it might be an amulet of some kind.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote:Do we actually have hard evidence for this apart from Syrian thumb ring finds? It IS feasible, but I don't recall any proof on this.

Mostly literary, some artistic. I don't have time for an in-depth response at the moment, but Vegetius and Ammianus both mention using the steppe draw vs. the older three-finger draw.
(07-12-2016, 07:13 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote:
Quote:Do we actually have hard evidence for this apart from Syrian thumb ring finds? It IS feasible, but I don't recall any proof on this.

Mostly literary, some artistic. I don't have time for an in-depth response at the moment, but Vegetius and Ammianus both mention using the steppe draw vs. the older three-finger draw.

Really Evan?

I'd be very interested in any references with where to locate this information in both Ammianus and Vegetius as I'm not aware of this.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I will double check. I'm almost 100% certain Vegetius does (although I don't have access to the Milner Translation).

Ammianus might. I don't honestly remember. It may have been in reference to the Armenian Horse archers or the unit of Schola Palatina Horse Archers he discusses.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gladi gemini et ageminati marcos 4 2,021 06-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake