Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
amicis salutem
Hi folks.
I have been interested in Rome and the Empire for years.
I live less than an hours drive from the eastern end of Hadrians Wall and it's forts and the various forts, towns and roads that stretch south in to North Yorkshire.
Having been an avid reader of both history and historic fiction for an age I decided it was time to get involved with some 'hands on'reenactment.
So here I am, eager to learn
Andy Ross

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference"
Welcome Servivs  Smile a fellow north easterner. I hope you enjoy the forum and its wealth of knowledge here and your persute of reanactment  Cool just add your name in your profile otherwise ejnoy Wink
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Salutem Amicis is perfect passive + abl./dat. of amicus. In other words it makes no sense.

Hello friends is "Salvete Amici."

Also, welcome to the forums! Tongue

- MMFA
There's the difference, my latin comes from google Smile
Andy Ross

"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there's no difference"
Google probably gets it from "x salutem dat" which was usually from the first line of a latin letter.
(06-19-2016, 03:38 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: Salutem . . . is perfect passive

Is it, Evan? I would have thought that that would be salutatus sum. If salutem is intended to be a verb at all, I think it would be present subjunctive active. However, I think that here it is the accusative singular of salus, salutis, f, 'health' or 'greeting'. Salutem amicis could be a contraction, '(I wish) health to (my) friends' or '(I give) a greeting to (my) friends.'

I agree with you about salvete amici.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Lol where the hell did I get perfect passive from. Point taken.