Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patterning in Scale/Maille armor
Hey guys,

I know I've seen fragments of Roman chainmail or something where there were patterns of bronze and steel links that created geometric shapes/deisgns/whatever. Anyone have images/sources?

I'm writing a paper on armor in the Santa Maria Maggiore mosaics and evidence of this patterning would be of great help. I know they did it, but gotta back it up with sources. Tongue

Thanks,
MMFA
Hi,

Martijn Wijnhoven just held a talk on that at ROMEC last week, maybe contact him? One example is the Bertoldsheim mail, I did the breastplate that was found with it, cf. here for literary reference: http://sutor.jimdo.com/escapees/roman/br...ail-shirt/
(06-15-2016, 07:27 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: Hey guys,

I know I've seen fragments of Roman chainmail or something where there were patterns of bronze and steel links that created geometric shapes/deisgns/whatever. Anyone have images/sources?

I'm writing a paper on armor in the Santa Maria Maggiore mosaics and evidence of this patterning would be of great help. I know they did it, but gotta back it up with sources. Tongue

Thanks,
MMFA
Dura Europos a Trident.... see page 117, The Arms and Armour and other military equipment by Simon James...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thanks guys. I can't access the one website at the Lab I'm staying at, while the other one I don't have. But thanks anyways.
The trident pattern is a common Sassanid motiff. It is a pretty good indicator that this particular mail fragment was not worn by a Roman defender but by a Persian attacker.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
It's still relevant though. I'm interested in the use of patterning.
(06-15-2016, 07:59 PM)Martin Moser Wrote: Martijn Wijnhoven just held a talk on that at ROMEC last week, maybe contact him?

The presentation of my talk (A very Roman practice: Copper alloy decoration in mail garments) can be found here:
https://www.academia.edu/23287058/A_Very_Roman_Practice_Copper_Alloy_Decoration_in_Mail_Garments

I recommend you to download the presentation, because for some odd reason it looks darkened in preview mode.

Possibly, you may also want to look at a short paper I wrote on this subject for the Arma Newsletter (14:2) last year. You can contact Mike Bishop for a (digital or paper) subscription.
B
est wishes,
Martijn  
I'm subscribed to ARMA. Thanks Martijn!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hod Hill Scale Armor Doc 9 2,879 10-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Last Post: Doc
  How does one scale a latter in full armor during a siege ? Theodosius the Great 17 4,115 10-24-2004, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Paullus