Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Show your gladius off!!!!!!!!!!!
Fantastic piece of work the use of different colours adds to the look of the overal hilt .  When you look at some of the late sword hills, they still wanted a sword that had a bling to it. It also shows you out there that you can buy a plain sword and make it special Big Grin first class once again Patrick Cool
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(06-15-2016, 05:08 AM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Fantastic piece of work the use of different colours adds to the look of the overal hilt .  When you look at some of the late sword hills, they still wanted a sword that had a bling to it. It also shows you out there that you can buy a plain sword and make it special Big Grin first class once again Patrick Cool
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Thank you Tony!
My works ;-)

Lebendige Geschichte
Geschichtsdarstellungen aller Art für Museen, Schulen und
Geschichtsinteressierte
Experimentelle Archäologie, Archäotechnik , Museumspädagogik

E-mail:[email protected]

http://lebendigegeschichte.myblog.de/

Here is one of my recent Gladius Swords.  This one I call "The Optio" A 1st Century Roman FULHAM Gladii.  This one was commissioned and sold.
Contact me if you are interested in Commissioning a custom sword or scabbard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This is the latest Legionary "Grunt" Mainz Gladius.  "Grunt" because there are no frills... just a basic "Plain" Mainz Gladius

It has an inset Bronze Guard Plate.  European Boxwood Guard and Pommel, 8 sided Chiseled 4 finger Grip carved from Holly and a Bronze Pommel Finial

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here is the latest "MAINZ" Gladius and Scabbard Build for a client in Australia. 
This one weighs 1 lbs. 13.5 oz. and has a C.O.B. of 4.5" from the guard.
Made of 1075 High Carbon Steel and is historically accurate in size, measurements, and style in blade and hilt components.
Per the client's desire, the Guard and Pommel are black walnut. There is an inset guard plate made of Bronze, that is customized/personalized to the client's Reenactor's Character initials and the Legion that he serves in. The Pommel finial and washer are also hand made of Bronze.
The grip is a six-sided chiseled finger grip hand carved from Blood Maple circa 1870's harvest. All woods are sealed with Boiled Linseed Oil and stabilized under Vacuum -30psi mercury. 

The Scabbard is historically accurate in size, style and function. The leather is veg-tanned sheepskin in a Royal Blue dye and sealed with a Satin Finish. The Locket Plate is of the Client's choice from the Legions' Aquila Eagle SPQR and created by the art of Repousse~ and Chasing. The cross bands and suspension bands are handmade to my current "First Edition" swords. The Suspension rings were hand made wax models and cast in brass using the lost wax casting and pouring process.
Everything comes to my shop in raw material form and I hand make each and every component to the swords and scabbards. Every sword and scabbard becomes a "Custom Make" as it is heavily researched to keep as near to historically accurate as possible through Archeological finds, Measurements, Museum Exhibits, Historical writings, Roman Sculpture, Paintings and other art forms. 
I am here to serve my clients and walk them through the process of possibly having their "dream sword" created and put into their hands. Through Pictures and videos, I bring them into my shop as if they were visiting. They "See" their sword and scabbard being made on a regular basis and this not only causes excitement, but it also, at times opens the door to other possibilities as we take this adventure together.
I hope you like what you see. I am open to "Good and Fair" critiques, even "Negatives" if they are presented in a kind manor. I am always open to learn and take the challenge to increase my talents. Each sword and scabbard launches me into the next one as I "sharpen my skills."

You can view my other swords and video tutorials on my facebook page at:
Master Carver and Maritime Artist Patrick B. Pointer

5/17/18 Latest 1st Century Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard for my client in Germany. Historically Accurate.
This blade is made of 1075 High Carbon Steel
It weighs 1lbs. 8 oz. and comes alive in your hand with a P.O.B. 3.5" from the guard.

The Guard, Pommel, and Grip are hand carved from European Boxwood (Bauxwood)
The guard has an inset guard plate that has been "Personalized" to the New Owner. The Pommel Finial and Washer are mad of brass.
The scabbard is Historically Accurate, yet the main Terminal Plate and Chape Plate are adapted from a Mainz Scabbard. The artwork from Christian Mik's Book was redrawn and resized to fit the Fulham Scabbard. 
It was not until late last night on my Birthday that I found an actual photograph of that portion of the scabbard. I believe we accomplished a good replica without having the photograph to start. 
The Top Locket plate was a Roman Eagle found in Roman Sculpture.
Everything is hand made here in my shop and commissioned by my clients to meet their desires and vision for their swords and scabbards.
This client portrays a Centurion in the Reenactment Group he is a part of. 
These two pieces were a labor of love and propelled me into retooling my shop in order to make Scabbards. Working with this client was a great joy as we challenged each other throughout the process to come up with this finished work.

You can see more on my FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Master-Carver-a...465930419/

My Mainz, made by Rvsticvs 11 years ago Smile

[Image: 4s2QF3c.jpg]
Hi,

Here's my Deepeeka Fulham gladius with the hilt redone by me. The guard and the pommel are American Walnut and the grip is British holly, all coated with linseed oil - probably not very accurate choice of woods but I just really like them.

[Image: 18.jpg]

[Image: 14.jpg]

[Image: 13.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius discussion (was: show your gladius off) Crispvs 47 9,167 02-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  show off your gladius TITVS PVLLO 138 47,508 02-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake