Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German Archeology should follow suit !
HI,
....LIDAR has become the cutting edge of modern day archeological surveys -- almost everywhere.
German archeologistst have been scanning "per lineam valli" of the limites in Germany, publishing
a bit here and a bit there (most noteworthy in "Der Limes" the half-yearly publication of the
Deutsche Limeskommission -- available in printed form at the Limes Informations Centers,
and, although not quite as regular, in *.pdf-Form on their Website  http://www.deutsche-limeskommission.de/index.php?id=330
  -- I've already been mentioning this somewhere in the references) but Britisch Archeology seems to have gone
all the way "in" ( https://www.gov.uk/government/news/laser...oman-roads ) with a nod towards
http://www.geostore.com/environment-agency/survey.html#/Survey  where you can request further data.
Hats off , ---- definitely !

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Bug 
well you know that some archeologists are like the Gardner Dogs Angel  meaning they grow tomatoes (LIDAR surveys) they don't eat (publish) them but they also bark when somebody comes near them (don't give others the data).

I think that letting also information (raw data) on the market might help even if others use data in order to publish
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
(02-11-2016, 06:56 AM)Gunthamund Hasding Wrote: well you know that some archeologists are like the Gardner Dogs Angel  meaning they grow tomatoes (LIDAR surveys) they don't eat (publish) them but they also bark when somebody comes near them (don't give others the data).

I think that letting also information (raw data) on the market might help even if others use data in order to publish

To be fair to German archaeologists, that UK lidar data is low-resolution stuff that has been gathered by our Environment Agency since the early 2000s to aid with flood prevention and any archaeological gains (the 'new' Roman roads have been much-trumpeted over the past week) have been accidental by-products. There have been plenty of subsequent UK high-resolution archaeological lidar surveys where it is just as easy/hard to get your hands on the data as the German ones. Everyone likes putting out press releases with those pretty height-shaded interpretation plans, but if you want to fiddle with the actual data yourself, that's another matter!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
(02-11-2016, 03:31 PM)mcbishop Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 06:56 AM)Gunthamund Hasding Wrote: well you know that some archeologists are like the Gardner Dogs Angel  meaning they grow tomatoes (LIDAR surveys) they don't eat (publish) them but they also bark when somebody comes near them (don't give others the data).

To be fair to German archaeologists, that UK lidar data is low-resolution stuff that has been gathered by our Environment Agency since the early 2000s to aid with flood prevention and any archaeological gains (the 'new' Roman roads have been much-trumpeted over the past week) have been accidental by-products. There have been plenty of subsequent UK high-resolution archaeological lidar surveys where it is just as easy/hard to get your hands on the data as the German ones. Everyone likes putting out press releases with those pretty height-shaded interpretation plans, but if you want to fiddle with the actual data yourself, that's another matter!

Mike Bishop
Hi,
...O.K. you caught me being a bit polemic.
German archeologist seem to have more problems with illegit diggings, that's for sure.
Both with the act itself and the actors.
Legal situation is different, that's part of the truth and some of the "structures" of "Amateur prospectors" do in fact bear a resemblance
to organized crime ( while some definitely don't !).
From the outside Britisch regulations and schemes dealing with "unofficial excavations" or the likes seem to posess a tad more "common sense" in them than our local legislation and governance.
BTW, I do know a couple of german archeologists who would dislike being compared to "gardner Dogs". Rolleyes Wink

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Siggi that is why I say "some" for me this mean that actually is a minority (less than 49.99% Wink)
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  German Archeology etc. on TV (In German only) Simplex 0 1,258 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Simplex