Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pugio Blade by Stock Reduction Method - Scabbard Completed
Look forward to seeing that evil-looking piece at Rome Baz!
:wink:
Laudes.
It is far from perfect Ade, and still a bit thicker than I think it should be, but then it could be used as a cudgel as well! All being well the scabbard should be finished in time for the parade in Rome.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Lovelly job Svlla Big Grin D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Excellent work Barry- most impressive!
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Thanks Brennivs - your fantastic swords and advice encouraged me to undertake this. About 30 hours in I was cursing you however, but another 30 hours on I am nearly finished! Big Grin

Thanks Matt Smile
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
It's shocking sometimes how long it takes to make stuff, eh Barry? :wink:
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I imagine just trying to get the edges straight would be a task in it self, especially with a blade of that shape and profile?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Svlla you :oops: :oops: :oops: I am glad you have given a great bit of time to come up with your excellent piece of work,I know it can be trying :x D D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:It's shocking sometimes how long it takes to make stuff, eh Barry?

LOL - I think you need to revise your prices Matt (for new commisions only of course Confusedhock: )
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
LOL I say that every time I make something new... :wink:
Quote:Svlla you I am glad you have given a great bit of time to come up with your excellent piece of work,I know it can be trying when you start something you have not done before but the result was worth it so keep up the work and if I can help any more drop me a line
Regards Brennivs

Yes I learnt a lot during the progress of the work, and the 60 hours includes doing almost everything twice because I did not quite get it right the first time (except the tinning which I did 4 times before I was reasonably happy with it!).

I will definitely be in touch for more help in the future I am sure - thanks Brennivs!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:LOL I say that every time I make something new... :wink:

Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I imagine just trying to get the edges straight would be a task in it self, especially with a blade of that shape and profile?

Sorry Byron I did not respond to this.

Yes keeping everything straight is a challenge, but using a straight edge to form the mid rib first off helps to keep everything else in line I found. The blade shape got re-worked on numerous occasions and it is still not close enough to the original for my liking, but I had to stop somewhere!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
OK it has taken way longer than it should have done (mainly because I tinned it three times and stripped it three times because I just could not get it right) but the scabbard is now pretty much complete. The beading is hammered from brass rod, and then soldered onto the scabbard. The hangers are hammered from brass rod and then riveted through the two halves of the scabbard.

One day I shall master tinning (when my Nealetin paste is delivered!) and then tin this thing which I think will look pretty good. I still need to put the rivets in the end of the pugio hilt and then cold enamel all the rivet cups.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I also re-shaped the blade a little and I am much happier with the overall shape now (Crispvs?).
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-Hilted Albion Tiberius Blade with New Scabbard Pointer 0 499 12-22-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Pugio & Scabbard 1st attempt Charlie 31 6,961 01-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Last Post: marcos
  question about pugio scabbard munazio planco 5 2,181 05-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius