Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rome\'s most fearsome enemy
Mmmmhh, I'm afraid that sillyness isn't forbidden at this forum... :|

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
hehehehehe...........

was worth the try.........

Wink

M.VIB.M.

(who is a direct descendant of Roman Neanderthal man)
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:The Romans looked different than others physically. They had a sinuous type muscular feature and facial features that was strangely not European looking. If they were a Latin tribe they did not resemble the others.

Ralph, we have discussed that topic elsewhere on this forum. The outcome may not have pleased you, but it seems a bit silly that you now take up this case yet again, as if the answers and contributions by other members have not been made at all.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Answers are just not what i expected,looking for science experts(genetic), not historians I guess.
Ralph Varsity
Rome's origins have been misunderstood, Romulus and Remus are not the sons of Mars they come FROM Mars, this explains their superpowers and why Romans were able to conquer half of the world with small swords.

Come on...
Since Rome conquered Italy, Romans were no longer from Rome, they had latin origin, then greek origin, then gallic, etc. Rome's soldiers weren't all from Rome at all, so even if (and I don't think so) first romans were physically superior to other men, the legions that gave to Rome its empire weren't made by 100% first romans. This is HISTORY.

Beeing a medicine studient, I know a bit about RNA, genetics, etc. And people have to be VERY cautious when speaking of gene pools and such for certain civilisations... we all know what happened in a somewhat recent past...

Note that I don't despise scientist's works on specific population origin, this issue is kinda more specific.
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
I referred to high-altitude adaptations, referred to below:

“Indigenous highlanders living in the Andean Altiplano in South America, in the Tibetan Plateau in Asia, and at the highest elevations of the Ethiopian Highlands in east Africa have evolved three distinctly different biological adaptations for surviving in the oxygen-thin air found at high altitude.â€
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
I remember reading once that must of the patrician families were a mixed of etruscan and latin families who intermarried in the monarchy, but latter were united to expell the kings.
Many leading "Roman" families, were from towns and areas outside of Rome, some being Etruscan, Campanian, etc! So much for the ethnically pure ROMAN race! They were as pure a Race as the Athenians were a Race. Not!

The Romans success was based on their pig headed stubborness, and not playing the game when defeated!

No real mystery there! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The Romans success was based on their pig headed stubborness, and not playing the game when defeated!

No real mystery there! :wink:

Agreed! Just look at the response to Hannibal marching across the italian peninsula!
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Gaius Marcus wrote:
Quote:The Romans success was based on their pig headed stubborness

I'd say better: "character"...

And remember that the Romans deeply believed that they had been tasked to rule and civilize the World by divine right, conscious about their direct descent from the Gods, and so fully aware about the responsibilities of their sacred mission. So, spiritual superiority, not biological...

And that could give you a certain strenght, in all senses. :wink:

Valete,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Sorry, did not mean it as a bad thing! :oops: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Oh yes! I know! Big Grin

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Too bad many early Romans burned their dead however, their really is a slim chance of finding DNA markers in todays population...think I read the 'Romansh' people of Switzerland may have the greatest chance of Roman ancestry. Can anyone send me a sample of their bloodSmile
Ralph Varsity
my family has been in napoli since there have been people there i think, but that doesnt qualify me as roman proper, only provincialy so dont expect any blood in the mail!
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
To Peroni :- Neither would I ! Luckily, Dacians didn't have two-handed falxes, but rather their Bastarnae allies (of whom there were many fewer,thank Jupiter! ) - sorry to be pedantic.
I think S. Severus has probably got it right, though the Dacians after handing out one beating (to Domitian ) were fairly quickly polished off by Trajan.....
The Germani across the Rhine, on the other hand, had been a menace in the late republic (Cimbri and Teutones et al ), again in the early principate ("Varus, give me back my legions ! "),and unlike Dacia (occupied) remained free, to cause further trouble to Marcus Aurelius (Quadi,Marcomanni and Allemani ) so one would have to rate them above the Dacians as enemies to be feared in the early principate.
But who did the Romans themselves think was their worst enemy, the stuff of nightmares ?
Only one enemy entered legend, and was used by Roman Mothers for centuries to frighten naughty/loud children.......the dread words "Hannibal ad portas !" (Hannibal is at the gates ! )
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Dacians: Rome\'s Greatest Enemy? Titus Manlius Verus 149 38,291 02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Frostwulf
  Rome\'s Public Enemy #1 praetor0708 64 13,580 08-08-2010, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Hannibal: The Enemy Of Rome Avatar 0 1,457 06-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Avatar