Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medieval Torsion Catapults
Quote:could you provide the primary source regarding the battle with the Bosporan Kingdom?

Constantine Porphyrogenitus. De Administrando Imperio. English translation by R.J.H. Jenkins. Washington, 1967, pp. 259-261
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
Quote:Constantine Porphyrogenitus. De Administrando Imperio. English translation by R.J.H. Jenkins. Washington, 1967, pp. 259-261

Thanks! A fascinating account of an otherwise-unknown campaign... The date would be very late third century or very early fourth - there was indeed a Roman legionary garrison in the vicinity at this point.

It seems as if the Romans took the artillery ('arbelests') from their static fortifications and mounted them in carts.

However, the note that the 'tribune Constans' later became emperor and was the father of Constantine sounds a bit fishy! This might have been a bit of artistic licence, though (or just confusion, Constans/Constantius), which doesn't completely invalidate the whole.
Nathan Ross
The Romans took Chersonesos and the Bosporan Kingdom of Pantikipaeon (Panticipaeum/Kerch) collapsed some time in the 4th century. There was a garrison of XI Claudia there in Chersonesos dated by a tombstone in the 480's.
I tried a quick sketch of qaws al ziyâr as it is described in Mr. Campbell's translation. As you can clearly see it is a tension powered artillery with a large composite bow.

[img width=500]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p263/HeroSK/20131120_154357_zps801804ac.jpg[/img]
posted by Semih Koyuncu

Quote:Anyone knows the earliest unequivocal (re)appearance of
(a) the torsion arrow-shooter and
in
...(2) Latin West and
after 600 AD?
I would have a look at a book called Springalds and Great Crossbows which I have not read (French original; English translation available). It focuses on arrow-shooting engines in the second half of the middle ages. You can also read Abbo's poem on the Viking siege of Paris and decide whether he just cribbed his artillery scenes from Ammianus and Lucian.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Here, a good summary of Springalds and Great Crossbows.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

While scanning through some articles, I found a different type of Ziyâr and author claims it was torsion powered. In the article, Black Camels and Blazing Bolts: The Bolt-Projecting Trebuchet in the Mamluk Army by Paul E. Chevedden;

Quote:
"but a ziyâr, a machine identified in the Elegant Book, as a base mounted, two armed torsion catapult." 21.

21"An|q," fol. 33r; An|q, ed. ‘Abd al-‘Az|z, 73; An|q, ed. Hind|, 109–10: a crude drawing of a
ziya≠r, depicted as a bolt-projecting, two-armed torsion catapult mounted on a cruciform base, is
shown together with a pole-framed traction trebuchet and a trestle-framed counterweight trebuchet
atop a fortress tower. The projectile of the machine is a large bolt or shaft, identified by the term,
in Elegant Book as a base-mounted, two-armed torsion catapult.

Here, the mentioned drawing.

[Image: topkunk.jpg]

Author doesn't mentions if it is written in account or his own interpretation of the picture. In my opinion, this should be noted to discuss about.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

If one thinks about it, these devices look like they were constructed as inswingers, not outswingers.

Supposedly the Roman Scorpiones of Ammianus could only fire across the Danube if they were inswingers. (As shown by Firefly, the Orsova Scorpio reconstruction.)
In my opinion, the mentioned drawing is not a two armed engine. If we take a close look the whole picture, it is clear that artist drew arms and bases at different colors. There is only one arm painted with purple thus it is highly likely that his machine is actually a kind of trebuchet.

[Image: topkapi.jpg]

While searching, I found another interesting image in a different Turkish book, Science and Technology in Islam. It gives the source as Kitāb el-Enīḳ fī el-Manācnīḳ written by İbn Erenbuġā ez-Zerdkāş in 1374. I think it clearly depicts a two armed torsion weapon over top of a tower.

[Image: twoarmedtorsion_zpse186d6a6.jpg]
posted by Semih Koyuncu

Quote:While scanning through some articles, I found a different type of Ziyâr and author claims it was torsion powered. In the article, Black Camels and Blazing Bolts: The Bolt-Projecting Trebuchet in the Mamluk Army by Paul E. Chevedden;

Quote:
"but a ziyâr, a machine identified in the Elegant Book, as a base mounted, two armed torsion catapult." 21.

21"An|q," fol. 33r; An|q, ed. ‘Abd al-‘Az|z, 73; An|q, ed. Hind|, 109–10: a crude drawing of a
ziya≠r, depicted as a bolt-projecting, two-armed torsion catapult mounted on a cruciform base, is
shown together with a pole-framed traction trebuchet and a trestle-framed counterweight trebuchet
atop a fortress tower. The projectile of the machine is a large bolt or shaft, identified by the term,
in Elegant Book as a base-mounted, two-armed torsion catapult.

Here, the mentioned drawing.

[Image: topkunk.jpg]

Author doesn't mentions if it is written in account or his own interpretation of the picture. In my opinion, this should be noted to discuss about.
Maybe the drawing shows an az-ziyar, a single-armed counterweight trebuchet launching arrows: [hide]http://www.ibttm.org/museum/sammlung/Volume5DE.pdf[/hide] (p. 110f.; pages of the catalogue itself, not the page number shown by your pdf-reader :winkSmile.
Quote:Maybe the drawing shows an az-ziyar, a single-armed counterweight trebuchet launching arrows: [hide]http://www.ibttm.org/museum/sammlung/Volume5DE.pdf[/hide] (p. 110f.; pages of the catalogue itself, not the page number shown by your pdf-reader :winkSmile.

I have Turkish version of it and with a close look I noticed that eventhough they look strikingly similar we have some confusion on naming since bolt shooting trebuchet is called "qarabugra". I have no idea how Chevedden reached that conclusion of two armed torsion machine but it is highly unlikely in my humble opinion.

He also adds some crazy models, Frankenstein design of trebuchets include some torsion springs. Here the article.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

Quote:I have Turkish version of it and with a close look I noticed that eventhough they look strikingly similar we have some confusion on naming since bolt shooting trebuchet is called "qarabugra". I have no idea how Chevedden reached that conclusion of two armed torsion machine but it is highly unlikely in my humble opinion.
According to the German version, the bolt shooting trebuchet is called "az-ziyar", whereas the term "qarabuga" describes a large counterweight trebuchet hurling stones or incendiary projectiles (p. 108ff.)
In the article written by Chevedden, given the complete description of bolt throwing trebuchet by Ibn Erenbuġā ez-Zerdkāş and it is like this;

Quote:
If you want to shoot bolts (nushsha≠b)—some of which are filled with inflammable material and sticky gums (or resins) and others are not—from a trebuchet (manjan|q) [do as follows]. If you want that [i.e., to shoot bolts], put a hook at the center of gravity (‘idl) of the bolt . The hook should be made of iron. The hook will facilitate the lift-off (yah˝mil) of the bolt (al-sahm) and effect the discharge (d˝arb) 16 [of the projectile]. Thefront part of the hook should face the head of the bolt , and its back should face the fletching of the bolt (r|sh al-sahm). Then, after [doing] that, remove the pouch (kaffah) of the trebuchet and take out its first cord [i.e., the cord attached to the loose end of the sling]. Then, attach the hook to the second cord [i.e., thecord fixed to the end of the throwing arm] and launch it (tarm| bi-hi),and it will hit the target you want, if God wills. This account of oursis a compete [description of the] operation of the trebuchet which is known as the "Black Camel" (qara≠bughra≠).

It is clear that this machine is bolt throwing trebuchet. Apparently, there is some confusion about naming as it is a norm in case of ancient and medieval artillery history. Smile

Also, in page 110, ziyar is mentioned as a sub-form of karabugra which projects large bolts in Turkish version.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

While searching about the mystery machine on the left side of tower depicted in the Kitāb el-Enīḳ fī el-Manācnīḳ, I found the description of Dr. David Nicolle. In his book, Medieval Siege Weapons (2) Byzantium, the Islamic World & India AD 476-1526, in the description of the machines over tower, he labels the machine as "one armed torsion powered machine". Yet, there is no mention about text if it is so. I am doubtful about his translation since he also falsely coined Tarsusi's qaws ez-ziyar as torsion weapon.
posted by Semih Koyuncu

Please could someone supply me with a reference to the account of when the Bosporans were alleged to have defeated the Goths with the aid of carroballista.
Thank you.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maximum rotation degree for torsion springs? Koyuncu 7 2,402 12-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Koyuncu
  Website about catapults g_b 11 3,299 07-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell