Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
300 - What did everyone think?
It kind of irks me when a country like Iran critisizes the West for something as integral to our culture as freedom of expression. IMO Iran portrays itself 10X worse than anything Hollywood could conjure up. Maybe that guy should take a look at his own backyard before he starts "condeming" anyone elses.

Legion: TBD
Quote:It kind of irks me when a country like Iran critisizes the West for something as integral to our culture as freedom of expression. IMO Iran portrays itself 10X worse than anything Hollywood could conjure up. Maybe that guy should take a look at his own backyard before he starts "condeming" anyone elses.
But isn't what he's doing freedom of expression? :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Modern politics... modern politics.. modern politics...

Did anyone see that bear crossing the road? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:But isn't what he's doing freedom of expression? :wink:

Hahaha, yeah, but that'd be like Hitler complaining about the treatment of children in sweatshops. lol

Dudes, the vast majority of Americans think that Iranians are ARABS, not Persians and I doubt will get the connection. Smile
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Robert,

As usual, I am right with you. Big Grin

300 was a good entertaining film that got the essence of the battle at Thermopylae right. For me at any rate.

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Havent seen the movie yet. But have seen a good amount of pics and vids about it

Iranian comments are just what everyone expected, no surprise there.
What they should have done was make a comment more in the lines of:

"Yes it is an interesting film, but the persians were poorply depicted, their wardrobe and equipment is all wrong, and this is how a persian would have been dressed/equiped...(showing images), etc etc."

Would be a better slap in the hand IMHO.
Quote:300 was a good entertaining film that got the essence of the battle at Thermopylae right. For me at any rate.

Edge

Yep, that's what Frank Miller was trying for when he wrote the graphic novel, and I think they captured it on film.

Come to talk about it with the exception of Elephants and Immortals the Persian army wasn´t inacuretelly depicted in the comic.
But as I said I will seethe film late at my leizure.
Kind regards
Hi,

Just saw 300 the movie and wanted to say what a nice surprise it was. After seeing some of the previews and seeing what looked like creatures or monsters, and seeing what I thought was poor acting, I didn’t expect much, but what a surprise. Of course it’s still a movie based on someone’s book, not just history, so some of the history has been changed, altered, or shown out of order to make for a better show, but for those of us that are familiar with what happened, it was basically correct.

Another surprise was the feel of the movie, it’s been awhile since I saw a good action movie like this and didn’t walk away thinking that they could have done such a better job. I walk away satisfied that I got what I paid for, and even more.

So for those of you that are on the fence about the movie, go out and see it. I saw it at the IMAX, supposedly the worlds larges screens and digitally mastered, great experience.

Posted by review under reviews, didn't realize that a thread was already started here.
Steve
Hi all,

I really liked the movie. Judging it based on Frank Miller's version, it is really accurate and I was blown away by how they seem to have put every single frame into the movie (adding some extras too). The backgrounds, even though computer generated, were breathtaking and while it might not even remotely resemble Greece, I think it added a grandeur to the plight of the 300. Also, the very first battle, when the phalanx moves in formation and pushes the Persians away, is the closest thing to hoplite fighting that I've ever seen in any movie that might resemble what ancient warfare looked like, given the available accounts.

Honestly, I think that regardless of how inaccurate the movie is historically, at least it will help fuel a renewal of interests in the Classics and in Ancient History. After all, if more people care about what actually happened, then more movie-makers will be inclined to get it right. Hopefully more kids and lost souls will flock to the realm of Antiquity and say to themselves "that is a culture that I want to dedicate my life and study toward." For me, seeing Gladiator was the point in my life when I decided to take up Latin and study Classics.
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Gladiator got me into Roman Reenacting. =)

Quote:Gladiator got me into Roman Reenacting. =)

What's that cry of anguish I hear? Is Matt Amt shaking his head like a stunned monkey again? Tisk tisk tisk. Smile

As much as he hates that movie, he's got to give it props for reviving the interest in the classics.
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Quote:The same goes for the Immortals - In reality they weren't in masks

No they didn’t were mask, but they did were a dark piece of material over their face, which they could see out of, to hide their face and give themselves a menacing look.

Imagine a wall of warriors coming at you with no face, I’m sure it had an impact, not to the Spartan, but to others.
Steve
Ciao guys
on Italian newpapers and TV there is coverage of a bad reaction from Iranians.

I can hear some people here in Europe say "Oh, how little we understand them!". But I think it is the other way around. I kind of think its funny!
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."