Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Representation of Auxiliary soldiers in museums
Here is another one, a new exhibit at the Limesmuseum Aalen (cavalry man in barracks):
[url:1less3l7]http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/uni/ymu/sqhm/diverse/contubernium.jpg[/url]
Aka
Christoph
Thanks Christoph - I actually scrolled past him 'cause I thought he was real! Big Grin

[I altered the link a bit for convenience]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks for the link edit! Yes, I thought he was real at first, too, but then he's listed under "new exhibit added as part of the new Limes declaration as Unesco world heritage", so I guess he must be permanent ;-) )
Aka
Christoph
There is another 'stuffed soldier' at Corinium (Cirencester). Rarely, he is a late Roman of the 4th/5th centuries AD. Unfortunately, the pictures I have of him are not worth putting up here as they are blurred. I think this may be a new addition to the museum, as it was refurbished at a cost of £5-million comparatively recently. The picture is clear enough, however, to show that he's wearing an 'Intercisa' helmet.

Following on from Crispus' comments and links, the Andover Museum 'Roman' is (assuming that only legionaries wore lorica seg - sorry Mike B!) a legionary. The armour is Corbridge B/C and his helmet is (I think) a Gallic D. Interestingly (and off subject), they also have a stuffed "celt", whose facial colouring makes him look like he's had a night on the pongalow!

The three cased stuffed Romans at Caerleon are as advertised. The centurio bears a remarkable likeness to a certain Chris Haines. The legionary model is wearing a red tunic. His armour, however, is very peculiar and is quite a mixture of Corbridge and Newstead types. Thus, in place of the tie-hooks, he has tie rings - but in two rows (well, it was made some time back before Stillfried was known of), but the shoulder hinges are not the Newstead large variety. The vertical suspension hooks have also been made in steel, rather than copper alloy. I tend to avert my eyes every time I walk past this bloke!

Caratacus
(Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.