Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early imprerial belts...
Hi all
I dont know if this should be here but, why and when did "double" belts stop being used. A Pugio is light-ish but a Gladius on another belt must weigh a ton....not literally.
Please Magnus when your project is finished can you let us all know the "pros and cons" of wearing a double belt.
Kevin
Kevin
There were still double belts used in the 1st Century (pre-flavian), but after that they seem to fall out of favor.

I will definately let you know how they work out. They will likely be worn primarily with hamata...

Legion: TBD
I think that Silver solder should be ok for your beltplate pins for you do get a good flow quality with it and as I have mentioned the silverflow rods are just getting out of this world with the cost of silver these days, and with flat head rivets filed down very thin you should get it to flow well onto the rivet heads.
I mention making the rivet heads much thinner so that they will go down tight againdt your belt leather, then when you peen them it keeps the plates looking tidy.
Brian Stobbs
My punctim terminal ends, also based on the Vindonissa ones. (I didn't make these, they are from Albion Armourers). So all I have left for this particular belt, is to solder allllll the rivets to the plates and apron studs, make the terminal end parts that attach to the strap, and assemble. I may have a chunk of it done tommorow, who knows.

[Image: Terminal-ends1.jpg]

[Image: Terminal-ends2.jpg]

Then...I have to finish the 2nd, plain belt.

Quote:I'm going to look for the tutorial for the sewn belts...does anyone have a link handy for it? I like how the leather extends past the plates.

Do you mean this one?
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?fu...474#233474

I should redo that one some day with better pictures. LOL
ALA I BATAVORUM
That's the one lol. I think my next centurion belt I will make with that method. Question...does the front piece of the leather fold back and over the rear piece of leather? Or does it but up beside it?

Quote:That's the one lol. I think my next centurion belt I will make with that method. Question...does the front piece of the leather fold back and over the rear piece of leather? Or does it but up beside it?

If I get the question totally right, it but up besides each other. My belts have a 3 layers construction. Two layers of leather, facing outwards, which sandwich a layer of heavy linen.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Ahhh...I get it. So the outside layer of leather is long enough to fold back over and butt up against the edge of the inside layer. Did you find the inner layer of linen necessary? What thickness of leather did you use?

Quote:Ahhh...I get it. So the outside layer of leather is long enough to fold back over and butt up against the edge of the inside layer. Did you find the inner layer of linen necessary? What thickness of leather did you use?

Well, I think I just made it more difficult to state what I meant instead of clearing things up. Made a simple drawing to show what was meant.

[Image: beltConstruction.jpg]
Black: leather
Blue: Linen core
Red: stitching

I added the linen core fron rigidity and strongness, as I used 1mm calfleather for the outside. I've also done some belts with 1,5mm cow leather, which is already much stronger, of course, but I still added some linen core. I think when using thicker leather without will do as fine.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Makes total sense. I think I am going to re-do my centurion belt...just have to figure out what plates to do...but I will do that belting method. Should be nice.

Jurjen I have been looking at your drawing and not wanting to nit pick at it, but where you show the join of the leather and its stitching.
Would it not have been more secure if you had used two pieces of leather where the underside piece would go over the edges of the outer with stitching through both pieces of leather.
For I see where there may be a weakness with a thread going through one edge of a leather with a gap then the stitch going through the other edge.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Jurjen I have been looking at your drawing and not wanting to nit pick at it, but where you show the join of the leather and its stitching.
Would it not have been more secure if you had used two pieces of leather where the underside piece would go over the edges of the outer with stitching through both pieces of leather.
For I see where there may be a weakness with a thread going through one edge of a leather with a gap then the stitch going through the other edge.

Well, don't know if I get you correctly, but of course in real the leather edges touch each other, no real 'gap'. In the picture there is just a bigger gap to make the drawing more clear.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I just realized I did my punctim in reverse...with the dot holes being on the back, not front.

&!*$Q*(!(##!$#@!*&!!!!!!!

Yeah, nothing worse than spending an hour or so on something, thinking you are doing well, then when finished realised you have glued or sewn something back to front...
and then drilled holes in it.... :oops: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sigh...oh well. It's staying like that now lol.