Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxilia shields what options are there?
Quote:It IS a pelta shape Folkert! :wink:

Yeh, so I got that one right. :lol:

But is there also someone who can tell me what the meaning could be?
For example a unit of warriors that came from an area that used these shapes for shields in the earlier times???

Anything else we can say about these shields??
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
For those interested in reproducing the Pelte design, here is a "blow-up" rough sketch of the design of this cavalry shield - the elements of the design are shown correctly, even though it is a rough free-hand sketch.....

It should be noted that no two of the various wreath designs are the same....there are many varieties of wreath.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
And those other things on the shields??
Moons, stars, suns, wings, lightning, ribbons, laurel wreath do they have any significance??

O yeah I also understand they are mixed Infantry and cavalry shields, so how can I tell one from the other??
Folkert van Wijk
Ave Some Aux shield photos from different units and those sold by vedors can be found on the Roman shiel Yahoo group.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
I read that Cohors Hispanorum Scutata carried the traditional legionary scutum, but I've found no other reference to such use of equipment by auxilia.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Quote:I read that Cohors Hispanorum Scutata carried the traditional legionary scutum, but I've found no other reference to such use of equipment by auxilia.

The two attested 'scutata' units Cohors II Hispanorum Cyrenaica scutata equitata and Cohors I Lusitanorum Cyrenaica scutata equitata were both part-mounted. It seems unlikely that a heavily curved scutum would be carried as a cavalry shield. If the curved shield was indeed issued to the units, then they would only be carried by the infantry part of the cohorts.

Scuta means 'shield' not necessarily 'curved shield'.

There are two depictions of auxiliary soldiers on Trajan's Column carrying curved shields.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... CF3716.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... CF3750.jpg

And another carrying one..
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... CF3734.jpg

There is also the shield cover from Roomberg belonging to COH XV Vol. cR a citizen cohort which according the measurements given in the report by Carol van Driel-Murray would be plenty wide enough for a curved shield.

The volunteer citizen cohorts raised by Augustus may all have carried curved shields like their legionary brothers.
Here is how the laurel wreath design I did turned out. Digital copy of design available to all (screw the copyright debate, let RAT be a sharing platform!). Still needs a brass edging and the boss is just set in place, so it;s just for an impression of an impression Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Nice job Robert. I am guessing you might be getting a little tired of shield manufacture before too much longer :lol:
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Salve Barry!

How did you guess?? Yep, I really hate the painting. And the drilling of hunderds of holes to stitch the rim on. Should never have promised Jasper four shield! Will be more like five, cause I had to try a Kessel, which you can see behand the wreath shield. I am pretty much done with making shields for life :?
Much prefer the smithing of spearheads, knives and soon blades Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
:lol: :lol:

When you get over the shield making mountain I would be very interested in commissioning one of those fantastic Germanic knives you made.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Say the word and place the order! One awesome Germanic gutsticker in the forge. I could send you some different ways in which the organic handle can be made, I have done two styles of handle now, one wood core with rawhide cover, the other just rawhide and hennep/nettle rope. Could post a picture in the other "knives-thread" for all to see?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
The word is given!

And yes please to the handle pictures!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Now... Are here also designs of the orange arch among? Because i do see familiar designs when I do look at the orange pictures...?
Folkert van Wijk
You are asking me to cast my memory back 30 years, but IIRC all of the designs in that sketch are from Trajan's Column...... Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Any thought on a paintjob for a Kessel germanic shield anyone?? All thoughts helpfull. Bring them on ... Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers