Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Posting Photo Copies of pages from books
Quote:
Quote:I guess his publisher is hoping that since the book is in Dutch, English publishers won't see it.
This Scottish publisher (all too aware of his use/misuse of the word 'Dutch' above) is thinking you mean 'British', rather than English ;-) )
Nah, I think Jasper referred to the language.. But maybe British is now an official language in the UK? :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Nah, I think Jasper referred to the language.. But maybe British is now an official language in the UK?

Yes, of course he did. :wink: The other one, which seems to have at least something in common, is 'Murican.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Time to think about altering the robots.txt file and reconsidering the stock avatars (cf 'fair use')?
I like bots to come here, gets traffic, gets new people, makes the site more useful. However, I agree, it has disadvantages and perhaps we should think about changing the standard avatars.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:we should think about changing the standard avatars.
Could always use photos of tombstones in the Imagebase, cropped in various ways to increase variety. They're real soldiers and educational.

If you want me to at least lend a hand with the cropping and sizing I'm up for it.

I also dare say that it won't be long before publishers are using some kind of search engine that searches for long text strings from digitial versions of their publications on the internet. Don't know if there is such a piece of software (outside of the NSA 8) ) but if I can think of it then someone else likely has. Lawyers must love this new technological minefield, and I have to say governments seem to be loving it as well. Gonna be interesting to see what happens if or when a zillion lawsuits are filed :? The Intellectual Property Wars? The Lawyers versus humanity? Pun intended.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well, Amazon has started listing "Statistically Improbable Phrases" for certain books, that is, combinations of words it deems, well, statistically improbable. Of course, now that I go to look for them, I can't find them... oh well. :roll:
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:I also dare say that it won't be long before publishers are using some kind of search engine that searches for long text strings from digitial versions of their publications on the internet
Well, plagiarism software that is used on universities actually works that way... It can check both the internet and a database of earlier papers on the same subject.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
One thing about copyright law and the internet.

If someone changes anything in an image copied from a book, for instance, adds a text to it of changes a colour, it is viewed as a work of art which is original in its own way. thus, the copyright switches to the person editing the image.

Unless an image on the internet is copyright protected via a statement on the website on which it is shown, or through a digital water-mark, like deepeeka uses, There is NO copyright whatsoever valid.

Also, reconstructions of Roman helmets, equipment and finds are not copyrighted, unless the private owner or museum, have put a legal block on it.

this last rule has to do with people wanting to sell replicas as originals. for instance with coins this always is a problem

for instance, the Forum Romanum proprietors have apparently some right on any photos taken on the forum, as I found out when i wanted to change my modern clothing for the Toga Praetexta, to take some photos near the Curia. The security guards, and the acheological proprietor forbade me to do so, due to copyright of photos taken on the forum. which i found rather naff.

there are elaborate pages online about internet and copyright, which anyone should be able to find using google.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Livius\' pages on legions Jona Lendering 1 873 08-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Electronic Copies Jugibar 5 1,374 09-20-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Jugibar