Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology
To go back to topic...

I'm currently working on a certificate in GIS at my university. For next semester, I'm taking a class in cartography, during which I may make my research project a map (including attribute data and such) on some of the major Roman archaeological finds throughout Europe. As this seems to be the sort of thing people are looking for, I'll keep you posted on my progress. I'm also doing a paper this semester on GIS in battlefield preservation, restoration, and archaeology, in which I'm outlining a process for a predictive map of finds beyond Hadrian's Wall.

-Matt
-Matt

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Christoph... I went from being an Archaeologist to being a Deputy Sheriff. The pay is about the same, and you treat archaeological sites and crime scenes the same way. Same documentation and mapping. The only real difference is the bodies on a crime scene are much fresher than on an archaeological site. Also you have to work a lot at night with a lot of flashing red lights. But you get free cokes and hot dogs at the QuickieRob. Same basic methodology though.

And you are right about trying to argue who can lay claim to having the most inept local government. This could quickly lead to a lot of heated and rancorous exchanges that would drag a lot of member in, and we could all get tossed off the forum.

Vixtrix... I got my MA in GIS/Remote Sensing and a graduate minor in Criminology. My first BA was in Archeology. I am glad to see what you are doing. When GIS is coupled with predictive modeling, which it is indeed designed to do, you have a very powerful tool. The Hadrian's Wall project is exactly the type of application to do. I am jealous. Here in the states we have no Roman archeology of course, despite what the hoodoo psychics claim. So we have to get our thrills vicariously. Where do you go to school?

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)