Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unveiling My Officer\'s Sword...
Excellent work Patrick, wonderful!
Brilliant work Patrick....well done indeed mate.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Patrick.
I have said in the past you are indeed an artist and it shows with this very good piece of your workmanship, and as such an artist who does much of this kind of work you might be able to answer the question I have about the sarcophagus it is taken from.
Would you consider all of the carving of this sarcophagus to be one piece or might there be parts that have been over layed, it is of course a true work of art as is your own but the horse men and other pieces look like they might have been put together can this be the type of thing done with this kind of work.
Brian Stobbs
Avete omnes

This sarchofagus is the sarcophagus ludovisi and is in the Altemps palace in Rome where is the "roman nacional museum"

The sarchofagus is authentic
[attachment=10502]image_2014-08-13.jpg[/attachment]
in the same palace there are some others relief and statue and when they are copy or there are overworking they write on the explenations.in the picture there is the explenation tablet for this sarchofagus i hope will help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

PierPaolo siercovich
Thanks guys!

Brian S. It is hard to say. One pice verses inlays and attachments. All are possible. However, my experience with stone is limited to small pieces. I know on many Statue Type sculptures that some are solid "one Piece" carvings, while others have attached arms and hands.

Having not seen the piece in person, I am not really able to judge. I think it might even be a little bit difficult to judge without really being able to examine it. Perhaps at one time there was a "repair' or a "Replacement" of a certain part. Or the sculptor finds buy accident an internal hairline fracture that leaves a portion of his finished wok on the floor. UGH... it happens. Well his only resort is to either start fresh or figure a way to save or replace what was lost.

I am intrigued and amazed by these sculptures as well. The depth and detail with primitive tools as apposed to what we have today. I wonder how long it took to create and if more then one artisan was involved.

--Patrick
Patrick.
I think it's true what you say we would really need a hands on close up study to determine this, and also as you mention the workmanship of these things are just fantastic.
Brian Stobbs
It is very possible that these works were done like my deep relief wood carving. And that is... that the bulk of the carving is in the original piece of stone. Much of the details would be carved into that block. However... some of the finer details to give the work more depth would be added closer to the surface. Things that would have been difficult to carve behind could have been predetermined to be added near completion of the work.

For more examples of what I am talking about look at the "Gallery" Pictures on my website: www.northernmichiganartist.webs.com
--Patrick
Hello Brian,

On sculptures, I to wonder when it comes to pieces sticking out if they are original or replaced. As Munazio posted, the entire thing is original. However, there is a piece in the Ludovisi collection of Mars with a parazonium. The pommel is not original. In fact a famous Italian artist whom at this moment I cannot remember, made the pommel with that face. It almost looks like the same sort of pommel that Patrick copied from the sarcophagus. Of course, they are not the same face.....just the rendering.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
It is great to know that the Grande Ludovisi Sarcophagus is originally intact. Its been over a year since I found that Sculpture with the Lion's Head Hilt.
Now I am looking for a good, authentic Eagle's Head or Wolf or Ram's Head... or something other then your regular pommel circa. 1st Century A.D.

Also, if you are interested... I can make your hilt. Just Private message me.
--Patrick