Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hod Hill Spatha Reconstruction
Absolutely!!! Looking forward immensely to the final one.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:Indeed! Congrats for sourcing a sword-smith who knows his stuff!

I must thank Christian for that one. He put a thread up almost a year ago about his gladius and it has gone on from there. XorX has been very patient with my prevarication and also enlisted his friends to do some of the scabbard work. It'll have good old English holly in the hilt though!

I, too, can't wait to get it in my sticky little mitt!! Tongue (although it won't be sticky when I do!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I'll second that!

Repros that are actually accurate are scarce birds. They're also costly. So I congratulate Moi, knowing about the out-laying of moola from personal experience. :whistle:

The ONLY consolation of having sold my soul to the Devil and got a "proper" job, leaving archaeology (for the second time). :neutral:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Update!

(And I think I'm in love... :cheer: )

[attachment=6593]625650_542721959091937_1220704906_n.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6591]485056_542721972425269_1215122626_n.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6592]5719_542722029091930_769954924_n.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

That is very, very, very nice....

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Sick with envy! :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
here some pics of the finished piece. Moi has some internet problems, so I post them.
The project had some delays but is finally finished :-)

weight of the sword 695 gr, length overall 725mm, PoB. at 178mm

[attachment=10594]P1020994.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10595]P1030001.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10596]P1030003.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10597]P1020996.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10598]P1030006.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=10599]P1030008.JPG[/attachment]

Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Oh WOW! Indeed a great piece of work, very elegant and I love the detail and loving attention paid to the hilt. Congrats Moi on a truely beautifull sword! XorX, thou art an Artisan!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
oh thanks, but the bronze-works have been done by Stefan Jaroschinski, not by me

Jürgen Graßler

it is not a sword but a jewel
PierPaolo siercovich
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!
I refuse to get excited until I have it in my hand...

But I am very grateful to XorX for doing this and, although the outer work done by Stefan makes it beautiful to behold, the weight and balance makes it the sword I have hoped for Smile
Moi Watson

hihi... I translated Moi`s text via google translator and retranslated it into english... what a c**p Smile

here some pics of the finished blade

Jürgen Graßler

The gods have been good and given me internet connectivity this evening so I can tell you all that this sword is the most masterly piece of craftsmanship - it is much, much more beautiful "in the flesh".

It is so light; the hilt fits my hand like a glove and frankly you don't even realise you are holding it - it is just there, an extension of my arm.

I feel so lucky to have it. I am taking it to bed with me tonight so that when I wake up in the morning I know it isn't a dream Tongue

I am also going to call my insurers tomorrow...
Moi Watson

I'm really pleased for you- it looks superb. Great to hear that it is a living blade rather than the iron bars in a rough sword shape that we see all too often. And the detail is superb- for example, I like the way that the chape echoes the decoration elsewhere. Fantastic sword.

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spatha from Aquincum (grave 2) near reconstruction leonardod 16 4,400 04-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Last Post: leonardod
  Spatha reconstruction Martin Wallgren 4 1,596 05-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Sassanid
  Reconstruction: Poetovio Spatha sheath decoration Martin Moser 0 1,638 12-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser