Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scotland vs Netherlands
As for myself i consider it an insult to be called "Hollander" wich i am not!!. I am origenally from "Gelderland" wich is a province in the east of the Netherlands. Holland is the name of the two western provinces of the Netherlands, "Noord Holland" en "Zuid Holland". I consider myself "Nederlander" or Dutch, but never ever a "Hollander".

Regards,

Maarten
Maarten
Quote:
Jona Lendering:1uvwydfg Wrote:the name of the Teutones and Atuatuci, who are just "the people" and had no real tribal name.
Also Alemanni, I suppose.
If I recall correctly, there are two etymologies: Alemanni may be from Germanic "all" + "men" (all warriors, or united people); yet there is also a Celtic etymology, "al" + "maon", "wild people"
Quote:As for myself i consider it an insult to be called "Hollander" wich i am not!!. I am origenally from "Gelderland" ... I consider myself "Nederlander" or Dutch, but never ever a "Hollander".
It's funny and intrigueing how people can respond differently to the same background; I was born and raised on two places in Gelderland, and my parents' families lived in that province for at least two centuries before my birth, but it has never been something I was sufficiently proud of to consider myself a Gelderlander (except when I was watching A Knight's Tale, which has a hero who pretends to be from Gelderland). When I lived there, I identified myself with The Netherlands.

Now I live in Amsterdam, and I think I am first and foremost a European or an Amsterdammer; sometimes "Dutch speaking"; occasionaly a Dutchman; rarely a Hollander; and never a Gelderlander. Funny.

Compare, BTW, king Herod: a Roman citizen, from the city of Jerusalem, Hellene, Phoenician descent, Edomite birth, king of the Jews. In his book on the Herodians, Kokkinos mentions a seventh identity, which I've forgotten.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
And in contrast, I've lived in Gelderland since before I was three years old, but having been born in South Holland, I'm completely happy to be called a Hollander (I have some of the characteristics too, prolly). Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hollanders, non-Hollanders, Dutchmen, Nederlanders ... I apologise for opening this can of worms! :oops:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote: I live in Wales
Really? Not Cymru? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I apologise for opening this can of worms! :oops:
It's actually a pity that our Flemish friends have stayed outside.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Hollanders, non-Hollanders, Dutchmen, Nederlanders ... I apologise for opening this can of worms! :oops:
Jona mentioned Diet now you're talking Worms how does the Diet of Worms factor into all this???
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:how does the Diet of Worms factor into all this???
Not... The word is derived from Latin dietas, which is again derived from dies.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
P. Clodius Secundus:2mw3koq8 Wrote:how does the Diet of Worms factor into all this???
Not... The word is derived from Latin dietas, which is again derived from dies.

I didn't really think it was involved. I just wanted an excuse one of my favorite words in a sentence. As in, it's certainly an interesting juxtaposition of words. Smile
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:I didn't really think it was involved. I just wanted an excuse one of my favorite words in a sentence. As in, it's certainly an interesting juxtaposition of words. Smile
Well, you managed to fool me. Smile //www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH5AaZS7RpA:38rt3sgh]this[/url]).
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:... accept my sincerest contrafibularities. I am anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you this pericombobulation (which offers me, interfrastically, an opportunity to link to this).
Wonderful stuff. And another chance to see a young Robbie Coltraine -- whom I occasionally glimpse in my local Tesco.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Sorry if i offended anyone in the provinces of North and South Holland. That was not my intention. I am not particurely proud of being from Gelderland or from the Netherlands. I ain't ashamed either. And yes it is funny to see how different the response are.
Maarten
Quote:Sorry if i offended anyone in the provinces of North and South Holland. That was not my intention. I am not particurely proud of being from Gelderland or from the Netherlands. I ain't ashamed either. And yes it is funny to see how different the response are.
No offense can be taken when no offense is meant.
Jona Lendering
My website
Well I don't really mind being called a Hollander, though I always deny being a Hollander and just say I'm Utrechter instead. Tongue

Its like calling Britain England, though we Dutch don't really care that much about it.

And Dutch probably comes from: Diets. Which was the name for the old Dutch language. Also confuses in our Anthem since it says: Ben ik van Duitsen bloed. Am I of German blood. While some consider it a translation mistake which means it should be: Ben ik van Dietsen bloed. Am I of Dutch blood.

Confusing stuff really. :evil:
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
Quote:
D B Campbell:1fe3ga4r Wrote:I apologise for opening this can of worms! :oops:
It's actually a pity that our Flemish friends have stayed outside.
Well, I was reading this topic and was astonished by the fact the word "Flemish" hadn't even been said! :o twisted: ). Tongue
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History