Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not just swords........
Thanks fellow Big Grin
This job will go exposed in the museum for the tact plan.
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Well, now that they're up and running again, here's a laud point from me, for your continued contribution to the field of replicas.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Well, now that they're up and running again, here's a laud point from me, for your continued contribution to the field of replicas.

Thanks friends :oops:
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
BTW, I made a couple of translation suggestions on the website, but I don't know what happens after that. Nothing big, just minor word changes. I guess the geniuses at Google or somewhere have to make the corrections?

On your site, I do have a question: do you make those spear/lance heads from a tube, or a solid bar? I have a javelin head smithing question, but I'll put it in a separate topic when I get the sketch done, so the question will make more sense.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
June 3, I made a comparison on the original.
Small differences that lead me to do another couple more faithful.
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Vincenzo. I have to say you are not only very professional in your blacksmithing but also in your photo tutorial work. Laudes from me also.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Philus Estilius, we try to give a hand to archeology, it's a mission.
Vale
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Salve!

Compliments on the work you put into this! As a fellow "basher of iron", using a coal fired forge, I admire the great attention to detail on the recreation of museal collection objects. I recently did some work for the Valkhof museum in Nijmegen, where I had the oppertunity to make some reconstructions for their educational facility, donating two spearheads (one of which I posted) for the kids to handle, as this is not possible with their collection items. Yes, there is much more then swords.
To answer the question on spearheads, all the items I have seen are never made from tube and I will be happy to provide detailed pointers to all those wanting to forge spearheads, having made quite a few last winter. This does involve forgewelding if you want to do Celtic spearheads, but for the Roman ones, the procedure is pretty straight forward. Forge welding still eludes me, this is a difficult trick to master.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Avete friends,
here some photos of the reconstruction of the corner of the kitchen with use the "wings"
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Thats a wonderful reproduction you made! I really like it. Laudes! Good to see it in use.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks my friend,
this is the original skewer
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
always the same outfit domestic we are rebuilding (my wife) an "olla" hand-made accurate.
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
And now we see what that row of "loops" is on there for. What a great design. :!:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yeah it's not just a great design, it's actualy very pretty and pleasing to the eye to...

[Image: file.php?id=5482&mode=view]
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
experimenting with several uses of skewers (sorry for my bad english).
Valete
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net