Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Know......
And I think if a Roman soldier were to appear at a re-enactment they would probably bust a gut laughing at the kits. You know that no matter how good folks think they are, there are probably some pretty bizzare mistakes we are not even aware of.
Chris McVey
Quote:Example: Making gunpowder
That one's a lot harder than Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen might make you think; L. Sprague de Camp was more realistic in Lest Darkness Fall. It seems that refining saltpeter from dung in quantity is a fairly sophisticated process using methods which aren't documented before the High Middle Ages. Of course, there are mineral deposits of KN04 in Anatolia ...
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote: :wink: I said, what do you "know" not "posses".
Darn, just when I wanted to say 'flamethrower'! Not a word one can casually use in just any conversation, and then you had to spoil it for me... Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I do believe that my knowledge of history would impress them. That and perhaps some longevity.

Being able to waltz up and proclaim the exact death of notable figures would surely make them sit up and listen. That alone could change history significantly.

Other than that, some rudimentary knowledge of chemistry and such would make me a fortune. And my knowledge of various siege equipment would surely come in handy.
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
I'm with Giannis. We could explain the reasons behind the principles and phenomena they knew, but not much concepts and facts they didn't know already. I'm speaking of the average Roman here. With my level of eduaction, I could tell them why diseases spread, why their prize bulls sire better offspring, why good farmland is good, why poorly cooked food makes you sick, how to make small amounts of lightning. I'm not sure I could tell them how to farm better, cook better, etc. In other words, not being a high tech society, how relevant would our knowlegde be to them? They might be astounded at the folks from the future. They might shrug and say 'huh. That's nice' Big Grin
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
... may be they were impressed by a solar-powered translator :lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Maybe if you told them about theater played on boxes with glass panels activated by lightning, made 2,000 years from now...and many of the plays are about their country and society.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
I could learn them to play footsie... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
[Image: intro_wm1990_spucken.jpg]

8)
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Also, they already had tha 'basics of steam power and hydraulics....
The greeks were using these things for a long time.....
I would think being in possession of good maps tho or the ability to draw accurate ones would get you somewhere.
The ability to refine the oil deposits found near the surface would impress no doubt....
Generate a little electricity and make a light bulb would impress.....

Anything useful and practical would stand you in good stead......

As long as they didn't decide you were some evil demon!!! :twisted: :lol:

As I can't speak ancient Greek or Latin, I would probably end up in a salt mine or the fields, but perhaps would manage to wrangle a household slave position, or a job as an artist! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
How would Uri Geller end in ancient rome? :wink:
In fact Uri Geller was famous in ancient Rome for breaking apart gladius blades with a gentle touch of his fingers. Then again they also had Deepeeka tangs Confusedhock: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
oooooooo :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
:lol:
Quote:[Image: intro_wm1990_spucken.jpg]

Great shot! I was livid about that stupid Rijkaard. :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans