Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British Museum Hadrian Exhibition in July 2008
Hadrian! One of my fave emperors - wish I could see the exhibit! And I've wanted to see the British museum since I was a kid. Sad

To those who are going, if not too much trouble, would you please take some photos and share them here?
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Will do! I'll also make sure their in focus this time! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Awesome. Thanks Byron! I know you're going to have a great time in London and museum (I'm sooo envious!). Tongue
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Just to let you know, the full events programme for the Hadrian Exhibition has now been put up on the BM's website.
http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_on/f ... vents.aspx
It's got a pretty full range of things going on, as well as my workshop!
Lawrence
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Argggghhhh! No cameras or Video equipment allowed...... :x
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ya have ta buy da Catalogue... :roll:
For details: take a sheet of paper and a pencil with you. :lol:
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Ya have ta buy da Catalogue... :roll:
For details: take a sheet of paper and a pencil with you. :lol:

Yes, but life is short, and crowd usually block viewing opportunities.... :roll: Sad
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I was fortunate enough to get an invite to the private opening of the exhibition last night, free wine and canapes!

Boris Johnson, (Mayor of London) made his welcoming speech in Latin and then switched to English.

They've already sold 15,000 tickets and that's ahead of the opening today so it looks like it will be quite popular!

They've made a great exhibition area inside the library and some of the objects they have are together for the first time since they were made.

It starts off with a lot of marble busts and statuary, an amazing larger than life-size head of Hadrian found in Turkey is the first thing you see.

Then it continues telling with the exhibits tying in with the story of his life and achievements.

Amongst other things there is, a 6ft red marble statue of a faun from Tivoli, a full model of Hadrian's Villa, 5 Fayum portraits some from Berlin and the Louvre, a set of hand tools to illustrate the building of Hadrian's Wall.

It's £12 entrance but I think it's worth it when you look at the labels and see all the different countries that have sent exhibits in.

Conveniently the exit from the exhibition takes you right out into the shop!
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
I'd love to go, but the BM is a little too far from California for me to be likely to make it.

Are they selling the exhibit catalog online?
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
I am going to do my best to get down for this.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
My train ticket from York, and ticket for Hadrian are already booked - 24th September at 11.20 Big Grin
Yes they are selling it online, go to the shop section for the exhibition and it's there, only £25 for the paperback Confusedhock:
Lawrence Payne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Makeover at the British Museum sally 2 1,507 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Last Post: sally
  2013 at the British Museum - Pompeii & Herculaneum Medicus matt 4 2,128 09-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Celtic exhibition in museum Tolmin Joze Noriker 5 2,007 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Last Post: huojin