Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank Structure of the Late Roman Legions
Hi all,

Last thread Smile

Unlike the earlier Republican or Imperial legions, I can't seem to get a proper grasp of exactly what the rank structure of the Late Roman legion was.

1) What was the rank and unit structure of the Late Roman Legions? I've very little, almost no, idea of how Late Legions operated. From the lowest Legionary to the commander of legions, none at all. Did it differentiate from Comitatus to Limitatensis legions? How were cavalry involved? How many troopers made up a cavalry vexellation? What was its ranking structure?

It appears to get rather vague with the breakup of infantry and cavalry into distinct units, separate from one another. Diocletian, and later Constantine's, reforms in the military added a swath of new ranks that I simply can't get a grasp of. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Scott.
"What else then, is all of history, but the praise of Rome?" - Petrarch

~~~

A. Flavius (Scott)

Messages In This Thread
Rank Structure of the Late Roman Legions - by A. Flavius - 07-17-2007, 10:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman and Early Legions SAJID 4 270 07-18-2023, 04:29 PM
Last Post: SAJID
  When would the rank of Praefectus be used in the Late Roman Army Tim Hare 3 1,347 11-05-2019, 10:57 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Late Roman Army Grade/Rank List under Anastasius Longovicium 175 70,650 02-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Julian de Vries