Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legio XXI Rapax, info needed
Quote:The Legio was sent to Mogontiacum in Germania Superior in the year 83. In 89, the governor of Germania Superior, Lucius Antonius Saturninus, revolted against the lawful emperor Domitian. XXI Rapax and XIV Gemina supported him. The resurrection came to nothing and the two units were separated – with Legio XXI being sent to Pannonia.
AD 83 was certainly a critical year. Domitian probably raised legion I Minervia in that year and seems to have located its HQ at Bonna. (Dio 55.24.3 only locates it in Germania inferior, but ILS 2279 is the tombstone of a serving custos armorum from Bonn.) This would certainly have the effect of displacing XXI Rapax's HQ. But where did it go?

Upper Germany, apparently. It is listed along with the other 4 legions of Upper Germany on tile stamps from Mirebeau (ILS 2285). But Mirebeau was most likely VIII Augusta's HQ (AE 1973,359). Of the other legions, XI Claudia lay Vindonissa, and I Adiutrix was sharing Mogontiacum with XIV Gemina.

Where can we put XXI Rapax? (Is Strassburg an option?)

[amazon]Parker, Roman Legions[/amazon], suggested that I Adiutrix was withdrawn from Upper Germany to the Danube in AD 86/88; presumably this was to make room for XXI Rapax at Mogontiacum, because he then writes (p. 153): "The two legions [at Mogontiacum] can be identified as XIV Gem. and XXI Rapax."

Certainly, it is usually assumed that the two legions compromised at Mogontiacum in AD 89 were XIV Gemina and XXI Rapax. But why?

I'm sure Ritterling had a (probably convoluted) theory, but I don't have access to RE just now.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Legio XXI Rapax, info needed - by Sardaukar - 07-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Re: Legio XXI Rapax, info needed - by S SEVERUS - 07-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Re: Legio XXI Rapax, info needed - by Sardaukar - 08-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Legio XXI Rapax at Mainz? - by D B Campbell - 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 154 40,332 04-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Pons Aelius
  Help Needed: Legio IV Scythica L C Cinna 2 1,602 07-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Last Post: L C Cinna
  Legio III Italica & Province Raetia. Looking for info markusaurelius 6 2,498 02-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius