Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
While I agree with your logic, I find my armour pretty comfortable, and my subarmalis does indeed follow the thinning towards the neck formula.
I have no problems raising my arms due to the armour, and just to reinforce Rusty's point about the buckle being the weak point, I will add that that was the main drive in the design of my lorica, to relieve stress on the buckles.
Brian stressed frequently that the way he made the buckles and straps, would minimize stress on the buckles, leathers and hinges.

When you are in formation, holding your shield and pilum, your arms will not be raised to any great degree, and an arrow would be a possibility in any gaps, which is another concern of mine, and one I hoped the verticle plates were to cover... just my own worries I guess.

And before anyone says I would have my shield raised, well......S$&t happens! :wink:

As I was looking for a seg that would require minimum maintenance, I was quite happy to accept his ideas, even though I had reservations to start with. He can eventually convince you with his logic, but I am afraid I am a poor substitute for relaying his ideas.

Hopefully, he will get on line sometime, and you can all argue to your hearts content.

Meanwhile, Matt, any answers to my query?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Messages In This Thread
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,506 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,304 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,796 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs