Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally?
OK, mid way through making my seg I am vexed by this question. I have a submarilis with padded shoulders, which according to Mike Bishop (in his Lorica Segmentata Handbook Vol 1) will make the breastplates meet vertically as opposed to diagonally crossing. Apparently if the breastplates are crossing this indicates a poor fit, a lack of shoulder padding, or both. Looking at lots of pictures of reenactors segs both scenarios are well represented. Looking at the Corbridge hoard excavation report some of the breastplate fittings look like they are less than paralell to the edge of the breastplate perhaps indicating that the plates crossed diagonally rather than in a perfect straight line. Speaking with the metal master Matt Lukes he is firmly of the opinion that the plates should cross diagonally, even taking account of the padding to the shoulders, which attempts to counter the natural slope of the shoulders (I think).

Looking at the way the mid collar plate is shaped and the way the top back plate is shaped where it joins the collar plate it does look as though the breastplates should cross diagonally. To make the breastplates meet vertically it almost seems as though a "twist" in the mid collar plate is required.

Any thoughts anyone?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Messages In This Thread
Corbridge A Breastplates - to cross or not cross diagonally? - by sulla felix - 06-19-2007, 05:28 AM
lorica - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM
lorica seg - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Re: lorica seg - by Matt Lukes - 06-22-2007, 12:03 AM
corbridge A - by brennivs - tony drake - 06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Re: corbridge A - by Matt Lukes - 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a press tool to make cross bands for scabbards brennivs - tony drake 7 2,468 10-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Blade Cross Sections and Designs Pointer 10 2,292 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Lower cross hanger under plate, designs? Titus Marius Secundus 7 2,758 12-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Crispvs