Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armour against weapons or weather?
There we have the contradiction. Big Grin

Thank you, Stefanos and Matthew, I would like to hear more opinions like yours. That it is only cloth is of course possible. For armour speaks that the men have helmets and weapons but ... perhaps that could be explained otherwise. Indeed the composition of the weapons is a bit strange (a hoplite with a bow; a man just with a sword alone, sacrificing, hmmm?).

If it is cloth than it would be very thick cloth. Look at the edges of the sleeves. The first garment could than be a vest from sheep fur, the second garment wool or linen (perhaps multilayered). For a chiton the second garment ist very narrow, mostly touching the lower body which results in the horizontal pleats. My chitons (also one with long arms made of thick wool) behave totally different. If it was cold weather cloth, the narrow cut however would indeed greatly add to the warmth of the overchiton.

I tend to interprete it more as armour not cloth, but I ebb between the both. :roll:
Wolfgang Zeiler

Messages In This Thread
Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Re: Armour against weapons or weather? - by geala - 06-13-2007, 05:33 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weapons and armour of the greek marine spartacus-033 53 11,818 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr