Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussing Roman drill commands (NO HOLDS BARRED!!)
Hi all, this thread is set up to discuss Roman commands.

What to discuss: (NO HOLDS BARRED)
* drill commands, tactical commands, any commands.
* what do we find in the written sources. I'd like to start off with Maurice since that obviously the longest list, but everybody who can add more is welcome.
* any period that we want, from 300BC for all I know until well into the Byzantine period. This is very useful to compare the basic commands, as I’ve learnt. So you can bring Polybius and Vegetius and I’ll bring Maurice. :wink:
* especially, I would say, the use of these commands for us, as re-enactors. I would like very much to see command lists from every group, and discuss each command in turn.
* what we miss – it’s no secret that many of the basic commands are missing, for instance ‘left turn’ and basics like that. We can discuss of course educated guesses here.
* Latin grammar. Although better grammar does not make a command more authentic (that can only be safeguarded by a written source), grammar can make commands more understandable.
* the value of the sources themselves. That's very interesting but not for this section - new threads can be added to the Military History & Archaeology section.

If anyone can add more to these do's and do'nt's, be my guest, it's not a private party.

OK? Let's begin.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Discussing Roman drill commands (NO HOLDS BARRED!!) - by Robert Vermaat - 05-22-2007, 06:53 PM
authors/sources - by QF VARUS - 05-22-2007, 09:45 PM
You did ask...about drill commands - by QF VARUS - 05-24-2007, 09:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hoplite drill with ancient commands hoplite14gr 2 1,384 02-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Request for Assistance on Roman Drill project QF VARUS 11 3,097 05-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius
  Latin Drill Commands QF VARUS 35 11,198 05-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Magnus